Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
(**) Which means in practice that I have to bring it to Nokia service and pay.
Phoenix. *Cough*

Or NSS & NSU.

As for the rest, X-Plore with AllFiles, ROMPatcher,installserver, TRK, HelloCarbide...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
(*) It's only cosmetic, but I'd like to delete the 4 "dowload" directories which Nokia left in the browser bookmarks. I can't. I am not the only one complaining.
Seems like you like hacking... Please take a look in /home/user/.bookmarks/

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I think he means on symbian

(which is now hacked and has been for a long time. Those programs which I mentioned are only the tip of the iceberg)

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Jerome, and how does this relate in any way to what Ari said?

Oh well, to err is human. Thats how it pays me for not using bookmarks at all

http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2008/06/g...rom-bruce.html

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
2. Can someone name realistic examples for "screws"?
it's in the link i posted regarding licensing... basically ensures QT under BSD-style licensing if Trolltech is acquired and/or development is discontinued (a common move in the proprietary software industry).

this whole 'flap' might not have come about if Jaaski had been either more clear or perhaps not mis-quoted out of context?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Jerome, and how does this relate in any way to what Ari said?
I just explained the daily problems I have with closed source or with a device which is somewhat open, but has some locks built-in (the E51). I just explained why most open source activists are frustrated by locked devices.

In the end, it is about people who have unusual needs, whatever those are. The largest part of the market has needs which are relatively well served by what the industry cooks for them. For phones: call, sms, download top 50s music, buy the latest ring tune, play small games, watch football on DVB-H, use your camera for small prints.

However, there is a sizeable amount of the market who wants to do different things. For example: I rarely phone, never SMS, like unknown hard to find music, wrote my ring tunes myself, never watch football and use a SLR and hugin (free software) for wall-sized prints. I know free software activists, and they all have uncommon uses for their computers. This market wants machines which they can taylor to their needs. Locks get in the way when you need that.

Apparently, it is difficult to get the message across: open source is about building a machine which does what you want. And the industry can't really serve your needs when only you and 20 other geeks on the planet have the same needs. But add 20 geeks here, 20 geeks there and in the end, Nokia sold hundred of thousands tablets. It's a sizable market.

I am a pretty good customer. Altogether, I bought 9 (nine!) N800 (mostly distributing them to my family and friends). Another open source enthousiast I know bought 5 (five) and is using them to build some kind of robots. It's a sizable market...

@qwerty12

I know that Symbian can be jailbreaked, but that is not the point. I don't want a locked machine for which I have to break the lock, and then there is a firmware upgrade which solves important bugs, and I have to break the locks again, and then there is another upgrade, etc... I'm too old for that kind of games. I'm paying good money, I want good service.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'd be especially interested in a listing of upstream-projects Nokia contributed to. (and a short summary of what was contributed and why)

The perception about Nokia is that
a) They're morally evil because they're big and successful
b) They bought Trolltech to take QT away from the community
c) They're experimenting (in niche markets) with open source, trying to use it only to reduce costs but not playing by the rules of the community

You can't change this just by saying "no, we're not evil. at least not all that much." - You will have to accept this is what people think. The only thing you can do is add d), e) and f) to the list, all of which showing good things you do.
- http://opensource.nokia.com/contributions.html but is incomplete. Hopefully we will have something better at the end of the maemo.org 100 Days action plan.

"You will have to accept this is what people think", you mean what some people think. Nokia is one of the most known brands in the planet and it raises all kinds of opinions, even inside the free software community. But yes, agreed that this is a perception a noticeable amount of people have. Not necesarely the maintainers of the projects where Nokia is involved, though.

a) Nothing to say to those thinking that global corporations are evil per se. I know the feeling myself, and I had to start evolving it when realizing years ago the role of big and successful companies in the development of free software.

b) What is the business benefit of "taking Qt away from the community"? And what this sentence means in the first place. As said, I still haven't seen any realistic example of what evil thing could do Nokia to Qt.

c) Why to wait for the answer of a marketing guy from Nokia when you can get an answer from the relevant sources. Ask the maintainers of the Linux kernel, X.org, the relevant projects at freedesktop.org and GNOME whether they think Nokia gives back and plays by the rules of the community. Seriously, they have public communication channels and email addresses.

Digging for answers takes more time and it's not always emotionally appealing, though. I take my part of the blame.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I really appreciate qgil and ragnar taking the time to participate in this thread.