Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well, to be honest, "add the digicam and it becomes unmanageable" is taken care of with high-end cameraphones these days...

Myself, I don't want the tablets combined with a phone; I just want a GSM radio. I'd like a N800 with GSM (+3G, of course) connectivity, and a data-only plan. I'll carry a phone when I want a phone, and use VoIP the rest of the time; but for now, I'd find the combination of WWAN without the uncertainty of WiMAX highly attractive.

But long-term, I think WiMAX and/or LTE tablet variants will be satisfactory; I think Nokia really is decently on top of the game there, and I think keeping voice-usage out of the tablets is a good idea. While the GSM-based idea would be nice (and likely, if the ITs had been started two years before), the focus of resources on the longer-term goal is probably wise.

Exactly. What I want _now_ is a "N810 GSM/UMTS edition". For data (and maybe SMS/MMS). It's comparable to the WiMAX edition.

Maybe, someday, the WiMAX edition will be useful, but it's not useful today (unless you live in one of a select few of markets). Same with an LTE edition.

Having it be able to make voice calls? It'd be more convenient than carrying another phone, but it's not necessary. But having a GSM/UMTS radio in it? Yes, that IS necessary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
What? Don't all of you have the N1K yet? I had mine implanted the other day.
Tim
I find people give me weird looks when I wave my stylus around in what seems like empty space (occasionally tapping someone's head instead of a button), and sometimes connecting bluetooth devices causes a reboot. Which is a headache, literally. I have to take an Ibuprofen every morning.

I find I get better wifi reception if I face away from the AP. I guess that's because the implant is in the back of my skull.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The N9xx is very interesting to me. My N800 is getting really battered, both the screen and the case (the buttons don't sit straight anymore). I can probably make it to December before it just stops working...

But hey, it can still do the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The N9xx is very interesting to me. My N800 is getting really battered, both the screen and the case (the buttons don't sit straight anymore). I can probably make it to December before it just stops working...

But hey, it can still do the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs.

You browse the internet on that thing?

You're braver than I thought.

I for one do not want to have my tablet be a phone. How do you access the info or add info to the tablet while your on the phone? If they were to add a phone than the tablet would only be useful for me if it could be used without the phone activated.

Carying 2 devices, ie. a phone and tablet, is not big deal. The phone goes on your belt and the tablet in your pocket, no big deal.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by dan View Post
If you travel a lot for extended periods the last thing you want is to carry two devices in your pocket.
If you travel a lot for extended periods the last thing you want is to carry a device as large as a tablet in your pocket.

I take the tablet an keep it in my hotel room (or selected places where i need it) while the much smaller phone is with me everywhere.

I wouldn't dream of paying yet another contract for a SIM-card that goes into the tablet.

Originally Posted by Red View Post
You browse the internet on that thing?

You're braver than I thought.
Aren't you a little short for a Windows user?

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Q3 2008? Nice, that'll probably be about the time when Nokia Canada finally reopens their web store.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by XL1200c View Post
I for one do not want to have my tablet be a phone. How do you access the info or add info to the tablet while your on the phone?
BT Headset.

Am I right in the assumption that this whole thread is based on hot air?