Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Is it possible to monitor / show read - writes to the SD card while the N800 is connected via USB?

I am hoping for a applet that shows read / writes (graphically?, blinking icon?) to the external SD card while the Tablet is connected via an USB cable.

Why?: I use my N800 at work as an external USB HD to run the Ceedo Portable environment. This allows me to install / run programs on my work PC that I normally wouldn't be able to due to the lack of admin rights. I would like to monitor the activity so that if a programs "stalls", I can see if the drive is still active.

Bonus: I have gotten into the habit of exporting my FF Bookmarks to the SD card then I bookmarked this file's location in MicroB to make all of my bookmarks portable. (I don't remember who posted this opn iTT originally, but I am pretty sure I thanked him)

Similarly, Notecase is installed both in Ceedo and on the Tablet, Both instances pointing to the same data file.

Thanks

Hmmm need to update my Sig....more like 98% now...

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Well, mmcqd (I think) moves up in top; should be able to drive such an indicator from that. (Or rather, from /proc/$(pidof mmcqd)/* directly, not actually using top.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well, mmcqd (I think) moves up in top; should be able to drive such an indicator from that. (Or rather, from /proc/$(pidof mmcqd)/* directly, not actually using top.)
Thanks for the quick reply!

Now could you translate it for the "programming impaired"?

Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Ummm... don't have my tablet right now, but I could easily write something up.

Basically, loop looking at some file in /proc/$(pidof mmcqd)/ for the total processor time used to date, subtract that from the last value, and if it's significant, then it's accessing the mmc. You probably want to do this somewhere other than shell script, if you want a visual indicator, but that would have been my POC. Find some serpent-lover (who has their tablet to hand) to convert that idea to a GUIful Python app...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Maybe it's time I learned Python...

Doh!

I was just playing with the show processes options of osso-statusbar-cpu...

Lo & Behold there is mmcqd with a meter and %. Not a pretty solution but I can see the info I wanted.