Active Topics

Notices

@gnuite
Thank's for the tip. Keyboard setup was able to fix the problem. Every key was set to "move north" (translated from german). This happened during update from 2.4 to 2.4.1 but is no serious problem if you know what to do . After pressing the Standard-Button, all was set back to what it should have been. So i am on a german device but i don't now where to find en_US or en_GB locale feedback you wanted to know.

The only problem left now is that after some scrolling around, maemo mapper fails downloading maps in google satellite. Closing / Restart of the application does not help (i wait until memory is freed after closing...). Only shutdown / startup of N810 helps in that situation...

Anyhow keys are working fine so i can continue testing

Thank's again for help.

Cheers MiBi

EDIT: Solved. My MMC card appears to be going bad. When I switched it worked again.

Recently I am unable to download maps. Strange thing is I see the "Processing Maps" Dialog, but the screen is still blank. I tried removing (apt-get remove --purge memo-mapper) and reinstalling and still the same results.

Can anyone point me in the right direction how to resolve this? Are there certain files left around where I have to manually delete?

TIA

Didjit

Last edited by didjit86; 2008-05-30 at 19:00. Reason: Solved

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ United Kingdom
New feature requests:

I use the OSM maps a lot, but the OSM maps are constantly improving in my area, and hence even if the map has been downloaded before, it may well be out of date now, with new roads and features having been added. So, it would be useful to have the following two features:

1. An option to "expire" a map tile; ie a setting to say if this tile is accessed (viewed) and it's over x months old (ie x months since it was downloaded), then re download / add to the download queue if offline. This could be automatic (expire all tiles over x months old, or as listed, only expire tiles that are accessed).

2. An option that when downloading a route to force an update of all map tiles on the route; at the moment, it only downloads tiles you don't already have, which can lead to a mixture of older and newer tiles showing different roads. An option to force all of them to be refreshed would ensure that for that route all the tiles were the newest ones.

On a separate note, I would certainly like either some transparent buttons, or a toolbar option. Note, I say option, so, for example, I would probably only want the toolbar visible when in full screen mode. These would simply link to the same options available from the hardware keys now, and would give more access to functions for N810 users who don't want to drive with the keyboard open.

Finally (sorry for the long list!), I would like some auto zoom options. It would be nice if MM could automatically zoom to the highest available zoom level (ie lowest number). When tiles are missing and I am offline, I could spend a lot of time zooming out and then back in when the tiles are available again. This should probably still queue the missing tiles (including intermediate zooms) for download later, but would possibly give a better level of readability when you are offline and fallen outside of your downloaded map area.

Alongside this, it would be nice if the auto zoom had limits based on speed; eg zoom into the highest zoom level, but be able to specify 3 speed ranges, something like:
- For 0 to x mph/kph - maximum zoom: 2
- For x to y mph/kph - maximum zoom: 6
- Faster than y mph/lph - maximum zoom: 10
My reasoning for this is that when driving on the highway / motorway, a zoom level of 2, 4 or even 6 may be showing way too much detail, but as soon as you come off the highway / motorway, having MM automatically zoom in and show more detail would be useful. Obviously, I would like the exact zoom levels for the 3 speeds to be user configurable as well.

A lot of features, but for someone who spends a lot of time using offline OSM maps whilst driving, they would be nice additional features, although I appreciate some of them are easier to describe than they are to code (eg I don't know if you actually have the download time / date of an individual tile to be able to expire it).

I hope I've explained them all well enough. If only I were a programmer I would offer to actually help out and work on some of these myself

Last edited by swing; 2008-05-30 at 10:54. Reason: typo

Not sure if this is already implement (at least i couldn't find it) but i think it would be nice if we could easily draw a rectangle on a map and then select zoom levels and then press download to get maps from that rectangle area.
Now that we have topo maps for Finland and the lowest zoom level displays the whole map of Finland, it would be very easy to just draw and download maps from certain area.

If this is already possible, please guide me how to do it and if not, then this a feature request for gnuite

Br, Jaykie

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
what you do is you get the area you want into view, then go to menu -> maps -> manage maps.

then set it to download maps, by area (the area shown on screen will be input by default in my experience) and then select zoom levels on the zoom tab. hit ok and it should download the maps wanted for whatever zoom level wanted.

and note that if one have a larger area at a lower zoom downloaded, maemo mapper will just use it as filler for when you zoom to a level without a set of images.

still, i have a suggesting up on the garage page for a way to possibly do this without having to dig into the menus and dialogs.
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...id=29&atid=188

Last edited by tso; 2008-05-30 at 14:51.

A good feature i'd like to see would be an on-screen "distance remaining" display, I know you can find it by tapping, but a it would be nice to see on-screen all the time.

Used MM all this weekend on a 1200 mile road trip...it worked awesomely. Thanks again!!!!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i just added some to the idea i linked to above...