Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
Has anybody ever heard of the term multitasking? You don't have to drop everything you are doing to make a PIM. Dare I ask if one could make a PIM AND improve the tablet in other ways at the same time?
Given a fixed number of resources, yes, adding a second task takes time away from the first.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
Whatever happened to the customer is always right?
Um, Nokia is a Finnish company. I don't think that's how they do things in Finland. LOL

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Ok, forgetting the idea that Nokia make a PIM for a moment...

Since I haven't developed for the tablet yet, I don't actually know.. Is there a framework in place for a system-wide alarm queue? An [extensible] notification system? A[n extensible] synchronization framework? A common PIM-object storage API? I think I have heard some talk about an alarm system, but I also think I have heard of some serious deficiencies in implementation...

If those are in place, wouldn't that be the more intelligent way develop? Don't make a PIM, make it easy for anyone to make a PIM. Make it easy to switch from one PIM to the other, because instead of a file format you have a way to access an event, and if it's common and open, you ideally have interoperability. If it's extensible you can have SMS alarms, mp3 alarms, syncing with Google or Evolution or whatever... it shouldn't matter, the PIM only collects and presents the information.

It seems sometimes we get so focused on the big end-user apps, we might forget this is a platform, which should outlive the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Is there a framework in place for a system-wide alarm queue?
Yes, alarmd.

An [extensible] notification system?
Yes, the Hildon notification service or whatever it's called.

A[n extensible] synchronization framework?
No, but there are efforts in this area outside of the platform.

A common PIM-object storage API?
Yes, EDS (evolution).

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yes, alarmd.

Yes, the Hildon notification service or whatever it's called.
OK, fair enough, but is it really extensible? Can you substitute the weak overlapping notification popups with something else, like growl on the Mac? Can you even change the beep?

If not... developers won't use it.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yes, EDS (evolution).
Same question. Does it work? Is there a way to make a plugin for any system that provides a complementary API? If so, what's going on? Why is it not in use?

If Nokia gets some legs under these initiatives... the PIM whiners (of which I am the self-proclaimed crown prince) might quiet down.

A little.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
...Symbian was thought to not be a great fit (nor readily adaptable) for the high resolution;
Perhaps I misunderstand your point, but the E90 Communicator's display is 800x352 which does not seem so different from 800x480. Of course if I were a Nokia salesmanager I would point to the E90 as the product for those who want a fully functional suite of software out of the box.

Last edited by sparkling; 2008-06-25 at 01:51.

wow! Quite a discussion I sparked!

Too bad it was only half on topic and half threadjacked .

Thanks for everyone's input.