Active Topics

I paired with my 'new to me' gps receiver. Maemo Mapper linked to it, the receiver got a fix on some satellites out the window of my office, I was happy and couldn't wait to go home to try it out while moving. Only... it wouldn't connect again. Mapper does the "Searching for GPS device," but just when it looks like it connected, it starts over again with "Searching for GPS device."

I tried resetting the bluetooth, found out I had to edit the sudoers file, did that, tried resetting again, still doesn't work and asks if I remembered to edit the sudoers file. I double checked and it was edited properly.

I see stuff about editing the /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf file, but I don't have that file.

I've also seen stuff about running "hcitool scan" as root, but I get "/bin/sh: hcitool: not found"

(EDIT: since editing the sudoers file involves hciconfig, I assume there's an 'hci' thing I am missing.)

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by jwsnerd; 2008-06-25 at 00:42.

Okay, so I have the rfcomm and hcitool stuff now.

i used "rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 00:0A:3A:00:6C:00"

after I used bind, when I simply enter "rfcomm", I get
"rfcomm0: 00:0A:3A:00:6C:00 channel 1 closed"
if i run "head /dev/rfcomm0"
my gps connects and rfcomm outputs
"rfcomm0: 00:0A:3A:00:6C:00 channel 1 connected [tty-attached]"
when I choose file path in mapper with /dev/rfcomm0 at any point in this process, mapper tells me (without searching more than a split second) "error opening gps device. retry?"

I tried the /usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper
and it connects to my gps, but then when I go to Mapper, set to gpsd host, it still says "searching for gps device."

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i have noticed that maemo mapper does not kick up the bluetooth radio with the move to OS2008. I believe that this is due to the dbus methods being used to control the device, vs. the old hci methods.

i have to start up the bluetooth and then start maemo mapper to connect to my gps. use the bluetooth control panel to pair your nokia with the gps, and mark it as a trusted device. you will be prompted for a passphrase, which should be documented somewhere. its usually 1234 or something easy like that.

the bluetooth radio will have an icon in the notification area on the top of the screen that is white when the radio is powered up. it will turn blue when you are connected to a device.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

You shouldn't have to edit anything. You do have to turn on bluetooth. You can do that in Control Panel, or in the panel if you have it displayed there. I put my N800 in offline mode a lot, which turns off both wifi and bluetooth, and if I forget to turn the bluetooth radio back on, I get the "can't find" error. Turning on bluetooth always solves the problem.

i have bluetooth on, it connects and the icon turns blue. then i open mapper and it still decides to search for gps receiver even though it's already connected.

EDIT: Maemo Mapper is even capable of making the icon turn blue, clicking the icon gives me the option to disconnect gps, but Mapper continues to search as if it hadn't found anything. after a little more searching the icon turns back to white, and it keeps on searching, the icon turns blue again as if connected, Maemo Mapper just never stops searching.

Last edited by jwsnerd; 2008-06-25 at 15:31. Reason: clarification

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I actually just happen to be working right now on re-establishing my maemo-mapper + bluetooth gps connection after upgrading to diablo (I chose not to restore from my backup, just a fresh install). I was able to get the gps to pair properly & MM re-establishes the connection alright, it just took over 6 minutes for the gps to get a satellite lock! Rather unusual, my HOLUX-1200 is usually much better than that.

But the bluetooth connection is not a problem. Not sure what may be different for you.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
it sounds like maemo mapper may not be connecting, and the passphrase may be failing. your saying that the "B" icon turns blue and shortly thereafter turns white? it would seem to me that the bluetooth connection is made, and the handshaking/authentication is failing so the connection is dropped.

open xterm and type "maemo-mapper --help" (without the quotes) and see if you can turn on debugging. if you can, set up the debugging and try again. you may see what is going wrong. gnuite would have to ring in on the specifics for the debugging if its not obvious from the command line.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Grog, may I ask how you got maemo mapper installed on Diablo. I have not been successful as of yet.

from "maemo-mapper --help" i get...
maemo-mapper[6467]: GLIB DEBUG ConIc - con_ic_connection_send_event
(0x121880, DEFAULT, DUMMY, 0)
gpsd: GPS device /dev/rfcomm2 nonexistent or can't be read

...etc.

The DEFAULT, DUMMY part looks like it is referring to the dummy connection created so the tablet wouldn't keep searching for wireless networks. If I disconnect from that, the rest is the same as above except
(0x121880, DEFAULT, DUMMY, 1)

had it not worked so easily the first time i connected it, i would've figured that the gps receiver was incompatible. but since i saw it work once, this is really frustrating me.

as far as the pass code goes, when I look for new bluetooth devices, it shows up, i say to connect, it fills out the passcode for me automatically. when i click ok, it says the pairing failed. trying again, it fills out the passcode with a different number than before. entering 0000 as the passcode allows it to pair successfully. the BT statusbar icon turns blue, and if left alone for 20-30 seconds, turns back to white (I'm guessing due to inactivity).