Notices

I'm reading about the latest Maemo release as I won't be able to try it until friday...however I've got a few questions.
Most people hated the built in mail clinet in the previous 2008 version and wished for Modest as a new default mail client. However, no matter how hard i tried, I always went back to the default one. Modest for me was a complete crash fest, and eventually stopped working altogether. But the 'killer' features in built in client were finger scrolling and large scroll bar as I hate using the stylus. Now that the Modest became the default email client, I still read that it likes to crash a lot, but does it support finger scrolling and does it use a wide scroll bar? Because if it doesn't I'd be really pissed!
It is amazing that the device whose one of the primary uses would be email access has such a crappy choice of email clients.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
It uses a wide scroll bar and is finger friendly.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
mm, guess I was wrong.

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Thanks for the confirmation!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Well, one of the scroll bars is wide, on the messages pane. The folders pane for some unknown reason has a normal-sized scroll bar. I guess they never thought that anyone might have more than 4 folders in their non-local account.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
That is why I wrote 'a wide scroll bar'. ;-)

You are right. But after all, the OP said he loved the default chinook's e-mail client and, as far as I remember, the UI were exactly the same in both clients. Am I wrong?

Its true, the new mail client has crashed three times today even though everything else works okay. I like it otherwise.

Is there anyway to have all your accounts in modest go to a single inbox, or an easier way to see all account folders at once in stead of having to go to the menu to switch views between each account?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
I'm not sure if I've missed a setting in Modest, but I've always had an issue with Modest where it seems to only 'mark' messages for deletion, and not actually delete them with one of my IMAP accounts... where the IMAP server in question runs off a Mirapoint system (IIRC, running some derivative of UofW IMAP).

The only solution I've found, which isn't much of a solution for Modest itself... is reading my mail with another client (mutt on a Unix box), which shows the messages tagged for deletion (via Modest), and of course refreshing the view causes the messages to actually be deleted.

I've been slowly migrating to the Modest email client in diablo. I have been using SnapperMail on the Palm for some time now, an looking to migrate to my newly acquired N800. I tried claws-mail, but it did not work out for me. In modest, I especially like to ability to display images within the email. A very nice experience. My only issue, is that I do not seem able to synch all folders back to my IMAP account. I can send OK, but sent mail is not synched to back to the account ( Fastmail) and therefore not accessible except on the IT. Has anyone been successful with this, and any pointers you might suggest?