Active Topics

Notices

I have the sling client on my N95 and MacBook Pro and it's near perfect and works like a charm.
Just wish they'd release a client for the N800/N810. Would make watching TV easier on the eyes.
I've even stood on the border of Iraq and Kuwait with a 3G signal and watched TV from a Slingbox located in NC, near-perfectly. Had to see BSG.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by iball View Post
I've even stood on the border of Iraq and Kuwait with a 3G signal and watched TV from a Slingbox located in NC, near-perfectly. Had to see BSG.
That's just...epic in so many ways.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to invest in another slingbox type product like Hava's considering you already own the hardware to do streaming, but I just don't see slingbox investing in the Nokia internet environment unless it becomes financially worthwhile. I guess Hava believes it is worth it and I'm running their titanium wireless product using the N810 beta software. It's a polished product overall and I breezed through the installation and the setup. The picture quality is actually quite impressive on the Nokia. Still a few audio - video sync bugs to work out if you watch it for a period of time, but it's still in beta. Other than that, if you truly want streaming on your N800 or N810, then consider one of Hava's products.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
I concur, the HAVA is the way to go if you want to stream from your home media setup. I am using both HAVA and Slingbox on my current travel to Iceland and the beta HAVA player on my N800 is impressive as described above. The Slingbox works well on my laptop but I don't think there will ever be a Slingplayer version for Nokia tablets. Too bad.

Can you slingbox -> ORB on a (windows)PC?

Orb's user site is very IT friendly and offers many different video feeds. I don't have a slingbox so I wouldn't know if it's compatible.

Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
Can you slingbox -> ORB on a (windows)PC?

Orb's user site is very IT friendly and offers many different video feeds. I don't have a slingbox so I wouldn't know if it's compatible.
Yeah you can, but then you're just using the Slingbox as a remote control. If you want to use a PC instead of a Slingbox, you would just need a capture card and IR blaster (included with some cards). I've been using Slingbox + VLC which works okay at home, but the dynamic compression scaling thing on the Slingbox makes it much more useful on-the-go (whereas VLC is a constant bitrate). The PC also sucks up a lot of power compared to a Slingbox.

I've talked to the people at Slingmedia several times about making a Maemo version of SlingPlayer Mobile. They haven't shot down the idea, but it's a low priority for them.

And let me second (or third) the positive comments about the HAVA player. It works amazingly well, and the large screen on my N810 makes watch TV a pleasant experience.

If you have an IT, I'd suggest you sell your Slingbox and get a HAVA.

-----
Ed Hardy
Brighthand.com

The Following User Says Thank You to EdFrmBrighthand For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EdFrmBrighthand View Post
I've talked to the people at Slingmedia several times about making a Maemo version of SlingPlayer Mobile. They haven't shot down the idea, but it's a low priority for them.

And let me second (or third) the positive comments about the HAVA player. It works amazingly well, and the large screen on my N810 makes watch TV a pleasant experience.

If you have an IT, I'd suggest you sell your Slingbox and get a HAVA.

-----
Ed Hardy
Brighthand.com
If only I had two Slingbox Solos that I could sell for one Hava HD.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
I think there's 2 reasons why Sling has an n95 client:

1) Orange or 3 in England bundled a slingbox and n95, and likely payed for development
2) The CEO of Sling Media is an n95 fan. He got to demo an early n95-3 a few months before it came out, showing off to Om Malik.

However, it has been rumored they are introducing a sling client for the iPhone. I could see a port to the Linux world at some point, but don't look for a GPL'd build. It does work in WINE now, but you have to load up some Windows Media player plug-ins.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Have you seen this news from early June? http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/08/s...le-for-iphone/

Regardless, Apple has to give Sling their blessing for an official iPhone client, and that hasn't happened yet.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter