Active Topics

Originally Posted by ITIL_Prince View Post
Calling it unreliable is charitable in Diablo on the N810. I've got a fairly clean install, stock kernel, minimal apps, and fennec 0.4:
  1. Won't load www.cnn.com without crashing utterly
  2. Will read mozilla.org site for at least a few pages before crashing utterly
  3. Is slower than microb - takes about 50% longer per page
  4. Jump scrolls rather than flows (page scrolls on finger release)
  5. Won't access the ITT forums (home page is ok)

I had about as much luck with their alpha release several months back. This software just isn't ready for the public, and testing it is painfully frustrating.
Unfortunately and can confirm all of the above. It crashes within a couple minutes of being opened (regardless of usage). Too bad really. I will be looking forward to future releases though, the video walk though looked amazing.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That seems really "alpha" for such a high release number. It really sounds like Fennec should be numbered as version 0.1.4 instead of version 0.4...

A "Beta" release numbered 0.4 should work most of the time for most of the people. This sounds like it works very little of the time for very few of the people. That's still "alpha" territory.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-30 at 02:20.

you can not access any sort of keboard, you have to use an on screen keyboard, from debian chroot or something, if you are using the n800. To me that meens EPIC FAIL. Damn you mozilla, trying to make the n800 obsolete.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by maxzar100 View Post
you can not access any sort of keboard, you have to use an on screen keyboard, from debian chroot or something, if you are using the n800.
Or use the thumb keyboard by pressing the center button on the d-pad
Originally Posted by maxzar100 View Post
Damn you mozilla, trying to make the n800 obsolete.
No, theyre just trying to make a browser, which isnt ready yet.

It works fine for me just they need to better implement the software keyboard for the N800.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Diego area
Originally Posted by qole View Post
That seems really "alpha" for such a high release number. It really sounds like Fennec should be numbered as version 0.1.4 instead of version 0.4...
Actually, the Wiki doesn't mention a version number or a status. It certainly doesn't claim that the release is a beta. In fact, the only way to even see a version number is to follow the installation instructions. (Well, the instructions themselves have a version number in a screenshot, but that's version 0.3, not 0.4.)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
A "Beta" release numbered 0.4 should work most of the time for most of the people. This sounds like it works very little of the time for very few of the people. That's still "alpha" territory.
Actually, I wouldn't even call it alpha, but since there's no real definition for "alpha" and "beta" in software, it's all a matter of semantics. (My personal definition of "beta" is that it's 100% feature-complete, and fairly stable, but most people appear to have a much less strenuous definition.) Version numbers (particularly pre-1.0 ones) are even more ambiguous, so I don't personally see anything wrong with them calling it version 0.4. After all, that could imply that it's less than half-way to a 1.0 release. My suspicion for this is that it's actually just a number than keeps incrementing, so eventually they'll get to 0.10, then 0.11, etc.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that the Wiki post itself seems fairly reasonable.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I installed last night and was completely unable to even get the thing to launch, much less tinker around.

I am having about the same luck. Installed fine and once i get it to open It runs great for about 30 seconds and then just shuts down? I would like to mess around with it a bit more but im just not patient enough to continue to open and close the darn thing every minute.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
If you check out this page you will see that this is not even an alpha in Mozilla's view.
The alpha is expected " August 29, 2008 - Fennec Alpha 1 "

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ericdkirk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericdkirk View Post
If you check out this page you will see that this is not even an alpha in Mozilla's view.
The alpha is expected " August 29, 2008 - Fennec Alpha 1 "
And it seems like M5 is scheduled to come out in two weeks.