Notices

For a desperate soul, temporary 'fix' is to get rid of diablo repo and reinstall python2.5 from chinook repo. After that canola works fine.

I upgraded to Diablo, not restoring backup. When I got everything loaded, I went and restored just the app catalog. It asked me if I wanted to auto install all of the apps I had previoously installed, but I thought it would take the opportunity to purge some if the apps I didnt use and chose not to auto install.

From there I didnt edit any repos, didnt add "Diablo" to anything as it seemed that the apps I cared about were all in the list, Canola being the most important for me. I installed Canola 2 first, then the Last.FM and Youtube plugins and my old favorite flat black theme. I did not need to explicitly install Python or anything, though MPlayer was installed automatically for me. Everything seems to work, I was able to download my podcasts this morning and it seems I have all icons present, though i have not tried to play any videos yet.

One thing I did notice was that the volume was very low, much lower than it was in Chinook. I made sure that all sliders were up all the way, both system and Canola, but it still seemed too quiet for me. I know there is a hack to increase these somewhere, so I'll search and try to find that. It was somewhat of a problem with Chinook, but much more with Diablo...or maybe all those punk and metal shows are finally catching up with me

Tchau

Last edited by rhouge; 2008-06-30 at 19:11. Reason: changed "Chinook" to "Diablo"

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
I've noticed the decreased volume as well, so I don't think it's just your ears. Canola is noticeably quieter under diablo even with all the volume sliders up.

I'm just thankful for how well it works even if it's compiled for Chinook

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
Man This is ****ED UP! I'm going to sell my N810 and buy something that is ORGANIZED like an iPhone 3G! I always wondered about this "open source" stuff and also wondered if it wasn't a crock of **** with a bunch of undisciplined hackers adding layer upon layer of shitty and buggy software. Well this is swayiing me towards thinking that the disciplined way of apple and their upcoming app store is the way to go. Makes things a lot easier for both users and developers.
You seem to have become lost from the apple fanboy community. I dont see how what happened to canola is any different from what will happen when apple updates their iphone firmware - some apps will need to be updated to work properly. If by 'makes things a lot easier for developers' you mean forcing them to learn to use apples proprietary standards, not to mention the 2gb size limit and price cap apple has placed on the software.... who is going to make an app bigger than 2gb you say? its not that you will, its that you CAN.....

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
damn dan...who pissed in your cheerios?

Well, I got Canola working properly on Diablo today. I uninstalled the copy that wasn't working along with the Python packages, then I disabled all the application catalogs except for the Chinook Extras which was manually added, and then I redownloaded Canola from the Web catalog on the Application manager. Now it's working with the plug-ins too.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
damn dan...who pissed in your cheerios?
Although dan may have gone a bit overboard, I do agree that some prior coordination between Nokia and some of the more prominent developers (such as the Canola developers) should have occurred before Diablo's release. It might have helped ease the transition, and not have people scrambling to recompile, find old software to get things to work, etc.

Mitch

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
I'm not liking Nokia's roll-out of Diablo from a developers perspective. Shouldn't issues like these (and I'm seeing them too with my packages) of been resolved before the official release? Also for the indt guys not to be told in advance of a major release when they produce some of the more critical apps for the tablet is pretty shameless IMHO.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
id definitely have to agree with you there mitch. how do you say clusterf**k in finland> lol

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
While I agree that the release seems rushed, it needed to happen. It's a lot easier to make developers comply with rquests if they're forced to. If Nokia had waited on developerrs to be ready, we could be waiting for Diablo for a while.