Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
Just edit it in Xterm with nano or vi.
So vi /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf?

Thanks

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by rhouge View Post
OK, I'm not a total noob, but for some reason I can't figure out how to edit config files in Diablo. I copied the mplayer.conf over to my MMC, tried to open in Notepad and Xournal, but neither could open. I know I was able to edit in Chinook and Bora, what gives? Or am I just totally missing something obvious?
I explain how to use vi in this post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by rhouge View Post
OK, I'm not a total noob, but for some reason I can't figure out how to edit config files in Diablo. I copied the mplayer.conf over to my MMC, tried to open in Notepad and Xournal, but neither could open. I know I was able to edit in Chinook and Bora, what gives? Or am I just totally missing something obvious?
Everybody has their favorite tools. For me, it is emelfm2. Advantage of emelfm2, it is a file manager with a editor. So you use it like a file manager, look for the file you want to edit. You then open the file and do your editting, save and close. No special commands to remember. You do not have to move the file anywhere. You edit it on the spot. Go gronmayer.com/it/ and search for it. Beforewarned, emelfm2 is not the most user friendly prog in the world
It does has a GUI.

bun

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Melfa, VA, USA
thanks so much for this hack/fix. it is something that i have been looking for some time. much apprechated!

mike

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by nrune View Post
thanks so much for this hack/fix. it is something that i have been looking for some time. much apprechated!

mike
Somewhat related materials, hot from the press, http://nittv.blogspot.com/.

bun

I'm trying to find program like aumix - more effective.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Please explain this clearly how to turn up the volume permanently on the N810 because the volume is just way way too low and once in a while i encounter a loud youtube video and it reminds me again how utterly low volume this things is.

I can't watch a video in any environment that has any noise. It totally ruins the devices video playback. Please explain [in non programmers language] what program to open, what file to edit, how to edit it, how to open it and close it so as not to cause any problems and then post the easy to use instructions in the help and faqs section of this website because everytime i try to show a video to someone i end up saying oooops sorry it's too low to hear in here or I have to hand them my earplugs.

I am using the internal media player and the volume is for me at times way to low. Any suggestions besides of using the very popular mplayer.

I would like to revisit this thread.

I have an N810/Diablo and mplayer's audio has never been very good for me. I have played with the soft-vol and audio filter settings in mplayer.conf quite a bit, but I always just drive the audio levels into distortion and yet the audio level isn't even close to what I can cleanly get out of the the Maemo Media Player.

Is there a another volume setting downstream from mplayer that is limiting my volume? (of course the main GUI volumes are up the same when using both programs for comparison).

I noticed the way things are played from each program seems to be very different. Looking at activity shown from the "top" program, I notice activity on from a tasks "osso-media-server" and "DSP/0", while playing in mplayer I instead see activity from tasks "mplayer", "esd", OMAP-SPI/0, and maemo-launcher. I specifically noticed "esd" which I think is "Enlightened Sound Daemon", which is a software multi-stream mixer. I also noticed the OMAP-SPI verses DSP/0 too.

Any clues about this?

I think a got it at least partially figured out.
(see previous post)

The culprit was /home/user/.mplayer/sdl.volume

it is a text file and it was set to 17. I changed it to 100 and everything mplayer is loud and clear. I was able to turn off the software volume control and audio filter in the mplayer.conf file and it is still nice an loud.

Question: What UI program tends to mess with this value? As far as I'm concerned it should remain at 100% and i can use the master Maemo volume control to turn things down from there as needed.