Hi, I bought an N800 about a month ago, and I have to say. When I have an internet connection; it's everything I can ask for, and more. However, in my experience with it, there haven't been many internet connections around. So, right now, I'm sorta stuck in a dilemma. I'm wondering if it would be more economical to try and sell the N800 and use the money toward a phone that can have a data plan (thus a constant availability of connections) like maybe the openmoko; or if I should instead by a cheap phone to use for the data plan and use bluetooth for access for the N800. How do all of you manage to stay connected on your tablets?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
I've been thinking about getting one of those usb cell-plan internet cards. My boss got one with her Verizon plan - they threw it in as part if the plan. She uses it with her Windoze laptop.

I'd have to upgrade my Alltel plan to the Internet option; about $100.00/month.

Does anyone know if those usb cell thingies will work with my n810 or an n800?

Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to stevecrye For This Useful Post:
Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
There's a couple of threads on this. One guy got his working with his tablet a couple weeks back

The main problem is lack of open-source drivers than can be compiled for the tablets and the secondary problem is that they all require powered USB.

I think tethering to a bluetooth phone is probably much easier

Also, @cactuar - Have you looked into BOOST mobile? They offer a $70 dollar a month unlimited internet/calling/texting/data that I'm seriously tempted by

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

$70 a month?! Are all data plans that expensive? If they are... that's definitely not attractive...

I tether to my LG enV2 on Verizon for $15/mo. It works pretty well, but it's Rev.0 EVDO. Rev.A is significantly faster but is only available on a few phones (notably, the LG Dare and a few smart phones). Still, 500 kbps down / 100 kbps up is pretty good for the price. The enV2 was free.

Get a Sprint SERO plan, $30 a month for 500 minutes, unlimited internet, texting, nights nad weekends, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhoff80 For This Useful Post:
i too have heard lots of great comments about sero. It's a great deal for $30 and getting the tablet to tether with the palm centro tethering isn't too hard.
I do have one question for SERO users though. How much does it cost to add a line?

Last edited by Scarflash; 2008-07-01 at 05:08.

t-mobile has a couple of internet addons -- the 5.99 t-zones plan, which gives you access to a proxy server good for most http traffic, and a 19.99 plan gives access to almost all ports (and access to t-mobile wifi hot spots). Several of their "free" (subsidized) phones include bluetooth also. And, as far as I know, they won't automatically change your plan to a higher-priced high-data-rate plan for going over an unpublished monthly limit (I've heard of Cingular / at&t doing that -- they have a cheap data plan which is for phone use only, and if you tether it then they charge you by the MB).

But the speed is only approx 130 kbps. So it's not good for streaming media (unless you stream a 64kbps mp3 radio station).

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Get a Sprint SERO plan, $30 a month for 500 minutes, unlimited internet, texting, nights nad weekends, etc.
I recommend reading up on howardforums.com before jumping on any data plan, especially the SERO one.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/SPRINT_SERO

Can I use my phone to tether?

PAM is NOT available with SERO (Although some people fly under the Radar with Tethering for free with a Samsung disable DUN). A few phones can indeed tether undetected. Some of the smart phones (like the Palm 700wx/p) can tether after downloading some simple software found HERE. Other phones such as the a900m can do the same with a simple hack. Instructions on how to tether with your PPC6700 are found HERE. A hack for the 700p/755p can be found HERE(advanced user hack!).

Last edited by brontide; 2008-07-01 at 14:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Wow, the Sprint SERO plan looks pretty cool. However, right now, I have family pressure to use T-mobile. So, if anyone has any good plans with them, I'd be really thankful.

And looking into HowardForums as brontide suggested, and I managed to run into this article about using ssh with t-zones for unlimited internet. I think that's what derekp alluded to. Has anyone actually tried that method out, and is it practical for the N800? I'm pretty familiar with Linux, so I know what the steps are, but would they work on a tablet? And thanks for all the responses, they've all been really helpful.