Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
'Watch out N810' is quite a joke IMO. Price and hardware-wise this device is simply in a different league than the NIT, and Vista attracts different users than maemo. What I don't understand is why would someone want to run a full-blown Vista.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I've been pricing the Raon Digital Everun and the WiBrain so I can have a portable device capable of running Maple.

My N800s are still OK for reading eBooks and running TiEmu, but I need something more powerful with a keyboard.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Guys,
we are just less experienced than japanese people in the art of calligraphy... so we have some difficulties to use a pen in a "precise" way...So go back exercising and after a few year, maybe, you will be able to precisely click on that screen...
Also, get a new pair of glasses and learn meditation... so you will know how to wait (Vista's slowness)... Or just take some classical japanese books, they have a literature that is often under appreciated (at least in Italy, where just Banana Yoshimoto is known). The speed of the interface remembers me the win 3.1 286 we had at school...

Seriously, at Sharp, as many Japanese manufactures, there are many excellent engineers. In this case, there wasn't a good design study, or more appropriately, the design could not work in any case, because technical limitations. Also, design choices were forced by the use of Vista (I do not know why they chose it, maybe because microsoft paid them for, or because their audience in JP wants it...who knows?).

In this case, linux, even at this development stage looks fare more appropriate (at least to me) because allows you to specify a more realistic hardware/design target...

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
I've been pricing the Raon Digital Everun and the WiBrain so I can have a portable device capable of running Maple.

My N800s are still OK for reading eBooks and running TiEmu, but I need something more powerful with a keyboard.
I saw one of your posts earlier about SpaceTime Calcs, I was wondering if you tried running SpaceTime mobile? There is a version for Palm OS 5 which should run under the Garnet VM. http://www.spacetime.us/palm.htm. They also seem to be working on a linux version, so they may be smart and port it to nokia nXXX/armel.

Not sure the other two machine choices will be much better. The Via C7M ULV is not very good, I would rate the 1.2Ghz as equivalent to about a 700Mhz pentium III, and has very poor battery performance. The Nokia N800 would be about a 266 pentium II but with much better battery and no heat problems. Unfortunatley the C7 is going to generate alot of heat, needs a fan for(which is pretty loud on the WiBrain) and will still be pretty hot to the touch, (one of the reasons I've been avoiding UMPC and MID type machines, besides not being pocketable)

The AMD Geode LX 600Mhz in the Everun will not generate as much heat and get much better battery life than the C7M ULV, but I would put the performance at about pentium III 450Mhz.

The benefit of course in both of these, is access to x86 codebase, so a huge choice in software. Though it might be worthwhile to wait and see how the Atom machines stackup?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
The Nokia N800 would be about a 266 pentium II but with much better battery and no heat problems.
Er, where do you get your numbers? The N800 is slow, but not that slow. MHz for MHz it is definitely better than a PII.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Benchmarks please...

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
What would you benchmark, raw CPU numbers... they are useless.

The NIT's primary goal is reasonable performance for a long lived mobile device. The CPU is not going to win any awards for speed, but in horsepower per watt. Add in DSP optimized code and it can do most reasonable things you might want to do on such a small device.

The two most constraining factors for this device have nothing to do with the main CPU at all. One is the lack of more hardware codecs like h264; the second is the lack of any video acceleration. Ram and IO constraints would come in a close third.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Er, where do you get your numbers? The N800 is slow, but not that slow. MHz for MHz it is definitely better than a PII.
I just based it roughly from ByteMark tests on the n800, though this was when it was clocked at 330MHz

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/...ly/006382.html

So maybe at 400MHz, it would be similar to a Pentium II 300MHz - 350MHz

My main point is that one really needs to look at some kind of comparison to a desktop machine, just because something runs XP or Linux doesn't mean it can run anything made for XP or Linux. So many people seem to have some overblown expectations for these devices.

For example OSEmuTech main goal seems to be running Maple, well Maple 12 minimum requirements are for a 650MHz Pentium III with 512MB, which tells me that Maple is probably going to absolutely suck on the Everun and probably on the WiBrain as well. You could go back to an older version, in fact I think only Maple 8 or earlier would run well on either device as Maple 9 requires a minimum of 650Mhz pentium III.

Last edited by pataphysician; 2008-07-07 at 15:42.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
I saw one of your posts earlier about SpaceTime Calcs, I was wondering if you tried running SpaceTime mobile? There is a version for Palm OS 5 which should run under the Garnet VM. http://www.spacetime.us/palm.htm. They also seem to be working on a linux version, so they may be smart and port it to nokia nXXX/armel.

Not sure the other two machine choices will be much better. The Via C7M ULV is not very good, I would rate the 1.2Ghz as equivalent to about a 700Mhz pentium III, and has very poor battery performance. The Nokia N800 would be about a 266 pentium II but with much better battery and no heat problems. Unfortunatley the C7 is going to generate alot of heat, needs a fan for(which is pretty loud on the WiBrain) and will still be pretty hot to the touch, (one of the reasons I've been avoiding UMPC and MID type machines, besides not being pocketable)

The AMD Geode LX 600Mhz in the Everun will not generate as much heat and get much better battery life than the C7M ULV, but I would put the performance at about pentium III 450Mhz.

The benefit of course in both of these, is access to x86 codebase, so a huge choice in software. Though it might be worthwhile to wait and see how the Atom machines stackup?
Nope, I didn't post about SpaceTime Calcs. Thanks for pointing out SpaceTime mobile though. If I didn't have something better (besides TiEmu and wxMaxima on my N800), I'd be interterested in getting it for my HTC PPC 6700.

What do I have that's better?

I bought the Raon Digital Everun S60H (AMD LX900 600mhz, 60GB, 512mb RAM, WiFi+BT, Windows XP Home)!!! Such a deal at $749.00 USD + S&H. I have my N800s to thank for getting me interested in "Internet Tablets".

So Wednesday night I'll be running Maple 12 on a handheld device with a battery life of up to 6 hours.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I have a hard time saying that my n800 is faster than my 300mhz pentium 2 based celeron. The big difference is going to be in memory bandwidth and the access to a real hard drive.