Active Topics

Rotation is working great for me with one exception: mplayer. I added a line to my /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf ( vf=rotate=1 )to rotate the video 90 degrees, so that I can use my tablet rotated to portrait mode for Canola, FBreader, etc. and still watch video in landscape. That works, except that the video will no longer scale up to full-screen. No amount of playing with mplayer options ( zoom, fs, vf=scale, dsize=, x=, y= ) seems to work.

All of my videos are xvid/mp3 at 400*240.

I suspect that xrandr is not setting the screed dimensions properly when it is rotated, but I'm not sure how to tell for sure. I'm handling rotation with either advance-statusbar-backlight or sb-rotate-plugin, and I get the same results with both.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
No, as the version strings is same. I can't do anything about the way packages are handled in maemo . If someone thinks they can do better, then by all means, grab the xrandr patch and post your package. And then we will see if application manager wants to update the package. (using higher version number doesn't count as you will mess up osso-software-version UNLESS you get the user to install -unlocked.)
I do believe I have solved the -unlocked hardware dependency problem. I will make another post on ITT about it, but you can talk to me on IRC.

I also very nearly have a "rotation-support" package whipped up that should automate the entire process, including switching to osso-software-version-rx*4-unlocked.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm_you View Post

I also very nearly have a "rotation-support" package whipped up that should automate the entire process, including switching to osso-software-version-rx*4-unlocked.
That would be great for us newbies too scared to install the rotation installation for fear of making the whole operating system go pear shape. Automating the installation would take a load off. Thanks for all the effort!

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by callanish View Post
That would be great for us newbies too scared to install the rotation installation for fear of making the whole operating system go pear shape. Automating the installation would take a load off. Thanks for all the effort!
You really shouldn't worry. Follow the directions in the wiki (linked to in this thread) and you'll be set. Seriously. Qwerty12 is a busy guy, and while he works on bigger and better things, you should get your hands dirty and implement rotation. You'll be glad you did.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
You really shouldn't worry. Follow the directions in the wiki (linked to in this thread) and you'll be set. Seriously. Qwerty12 is a busy guy, and while he works on bigger and better things, you should get your hands dirty and implement rotation. You'll be glad you did.
I know, I'll admit it, I'm a great big wimp. I've just got horrible luck with electronics that always seem to do weird things to me intentionally and now that I've got the N810 perfectly setup in diablo, I'd probably brick it if I did the rotation instructions; then probably have to start from scratch with the diablo firmware, and my backup will probably turn out to be corrupt, and at that point I'll more than likely be looking around for the nearest open window to jump out of and all because I felt really cocky and adventurous, but what I should have done was remember all those past disastrous hasty endeavors with electronics which are haunting me to this day all because I had too much time on my hands and thought what the hell, I'll give it a go and tinker around with it. So, frankly I'm putting myself in the boring but safe category with the N810 and we hope to have a long life together without too many incidents.

I'm exaggerating, but you get the point. . At least I hope you do.

Last edited by callanish; 2008-07-16 at 04:29.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Well, the way you learn is by trying all kinds of things, and often you learn the most from making mistakes. I recommend not holding back, it is hard to actually brick this thing, and every mistake you make is hopefully one less you'll ever make again! The worst that can happen is you'll have to reflash...

You won't brick your device and you won't have to reflash. The wiki is flawless. Follow it step by step, and you'll be fine. I'm telling you, you want rotation and portrait mode. Make it happen.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
I just tried it last night. Excellent wiki. While I probably won't use it all that much, reading my RSS feeds in fullscreen portrait with the feed selector pane off is great. Also, I'm left handed, so for games (Doom?) that require both d-pad and stylus control, I think flipping it upside down will be ideal.

Thanks!

I installed screen rotation before Diablo and it worked great. I had just been waiting to receive my new 4gb cards so as to clone the OS before reinstalling screen rotation. One question before I proceed. Will I later be able to take advantage of the high speed enabled kernel written about elswhere here, or will I have to hope for someone (more knowledgable than myself), to compile a combined kernel?

Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
I installed screen rotation before Diablo and it worked great. I had just been waiting to receive my new 4gb cards so as to clone the OS before reinstalling screen rotation. One question before I proceed. Will I later be able to take advantage of the high speed enabled kernel written about elswhere here, or will I have to hope for someone (more knowledgable than myself), to compile a combined kernel?
Be sure to give Qwerty12 your profound thanks!

Tags
angular momentum, quantum mechanics, rotation, weirdtags