Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ phoenix
any other GUI tool or program to work with N800 -os2008?
in Opera browser we have the voice read (v) option as similar to that?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
No, unfortunately.

Arundba
I found a couple of options, the first being to install KDE and use a program called "KSAYIT", but I first will have to learn how to install the KDE program.
The second is, I did a internet search for "ONLINE TTS" programs and found a demo of the same program I use on my Vista machine, which uses the AT&T Naturally Speaking Voices. But, since its there demo that is a text limit on use. If anyone wants to check it out, the URL is: http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
NOTE: Just type any text you want in the box and press the "SPEAK" button and/or save your text to a .wav file. I make a short-cut to this program just to show my friends. The voice quality is very very good.

hellllllp

i've eventually got flite installed and working on a n800 and a n810, but i cannot find the .wav file that it is supposed to create? the search cannot find it either? dose anyone out there know where my .wav went?

i got in touch with the guy that made flite and checked i was typing the correct thing, flite -t "hello world" -o test.wav, and it dose not create an error... so what happened to my .wav?

please please help

i'll draw you a nice drawing

ddw

It should be in the directory you were in when you executed that command; presumably /home/user/.

Flite installed fine on my n810 and works with the -t option but not the -f option. When it tries to read a file it just makes ungodly static (I didn't know that quiet little speaker could make so much noise!). I am typing
flite -f textfile
or
flite -f /home/user/textfile
It reads text from the command line just fine.

UPDATE

When I tried
flite -f textfile -pw
it read the file with several voices reading different parts of the file at once. ODD.

Last edited by lud666; 2008-07-17 at 00:29. Reason: Update

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I found espeak in extras and thought it would be cool to have it talk to people in the other room via ssh...

Problem is: I can make it output a wav file and play this file with mplayer, but I cannot make it talk without writing the output to a file. It should work like
espeak "Hello world"
but it needs
espeak -w file.wav "hello world" && mplayer file.wav
Is there something I'm missing?

I pushed espeak in extras, but i was not able to compile it with "native" sound output.

The workaround is to use gstreamer:

/usr/bin/espeak -v en --stdout "Hello world" |gst-launch -v fdsrc ! wavparse ! audioconvert!autoaudiosink

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pamadio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
I pushed espeak in extras, but i was not able to compile it with "native" sound output.
Thanks... so at least I know I didn't miss anything here. The gstreamer-workaround ist better than my mplayer-thing:; at least it stops after the text. the wav-file goes on and on and on...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Well, for those that don't know, using KDE you can use Text2speech and read webpages, chats read as they sent to you, or other docs.

All this using flite

Additionally you can get more voices in my festival package

This has 8 voices, 1 female, 1 Spanish, 1 brit, and 1 scottish the rest are US.
http://penguinbait.com/festival-multi.deb (20MB Download, 50MB uncompressed, takes up about 35MB on flash)

This is Spanish voice only
http://penguinbait.com/festival-spanish.deb (4MB Download, 12MB uncompressed, takes up about 8MB on flash)

These both install to /home/user/festival

Additionally a shell script called flite is created to allow spanish voices to be used in maemo-mapper. Gnuite is making an update to MM to support this.

For now, the flite script by default uses spanish, it can be changed just edit the file, I included all the voices in it, you just need to adjust the comments.

flite -t no habla espanol

Basically it just a dumb script which ignores the first parameter, no matter what the parm is
flite xxx no habla espanol
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post: