Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It's one thing that they do it... It would be more interesting to know why.

Doesn' it sell? Is there a new model in sight? Is it simply because it's no longer new? ...?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
It is normal a device like this is first expensive, and then slowly become less expensive. Top-down price model with luxary products. Early adopters, therefore, fry themselves in 2 ways: 1) they test a product not well tested by the masses yet 2) they pay the full price.

It is also normal that when competitors lower the price of a product, you react to this. And a domino effect is also possible.

But if you look, these are all US stores. The WiMAX edition is for US only. I don't know when the WiMAX edition is scheduled for release, nor any guesstimate. For example, the N96 is supposed to come out 2008Q3 which is between now and ~2,5 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
<wishfulthinking>
As far as I remember they dropped the N800 price a little while before they announced the N810...so maybe this is the first sign of an soonish upcoming successor?
</wishfulthinking>

I doubt that the N810 WiMAX is intended for wide distribution - there isn't even a single commercial WiMAX network up and running at the moment, right? So I doubt that price drop was to make way for that...

Anyway, $299 is a very nice price. Would be even nicer to have a similar price here in Europe. In Austria, the cheapest price is still about $550

Austria 550 USD? I just saw one for sale in Austria for 350 EUR on eBay DE but thats probably about 550 USD. Btw, This German is selling his N810 second hand. I don't see a purchase/warranty date in his post, so that is for sure something to ask. Is also a new user with 0 feedback. I also found a N800 2nd hand on eBay DE.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
I doubt that the N810 WiMAX is intended for wide distribution - there isn't even a single commercial WiMAX network up and running at the moment, right? So I doubt that price drop was to make way for that...
Dunno about why they dropped the price, but if I lived in Baltimore, Chicago or DC, I'd be lining up for an N810w. For me, Wimax is the only reason I will upgrade to an N810 from my trusty N800. Hopefully 2009 will be the year of Wimax... now I know what to get for Christmas...

http://www.telegeography.com/cu/arti...079&email=html

"Sprint’s first launch, under the name Xohm, will be in Baltimore in September, with switch-ons following in Chicago and Washington DC. Clearwire plans to launch in Portland, Oregon, in early 4Q-2008, with Atlanta, Las Vegas and Grand Rapids, Michigan, to follow."

Last edited by Wes Doobner; 2008-07-18 at 18:29.

Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
CompUSA the retail store was liquidated, the online site/brand was sold off to Systemax, which is the parent company of TigerDirect, so probably why their interface is similar. Not sure why Tiger Direct doesn't have the same price.

edited: Just checked TigerDirect.com has the same price, I guess they don't want to extend the deal to Canadians .
Ok Canadians, Tigerdirect.ca heard our screaming and this is it, a new price 365.99$ CAN:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...156&srkey=n810

The Following User Says Thank You to ghassane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
Originally Posted by zfigz View Post
Argh! I just ordered mine from Amazon...I'm tempted to take it back and order from Comp...ARGH!
Don't despair: Amazon will match the price till up to 30 days later.
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
It is normal a device like this is first expensive, and then slowly become less expensive. Top-down price model with luxary products. Early adopters, therefore, fry themselves in 2 ways: 1) they test a product not well tested by the masses yet 2) they pay the full price.
Yup, this is totally standard practice for Nokia's phones, and for most portable device manufacturers. They start off at a certain price and normally drop quite a lot over the course of a year.

Then when the price hits rock bottom (usually about half of its starting price) they take it off the market and replace it with a newer model, putting the price back up.

I don't think the N810 Wimax is the driving force for this because even in America it will only be available to a small proportion of potential customers, and not all of those will be willing to pay for Wimax.

If I had to guess, it seems we'll be seeing a new tablet before Christmas (and this fits with the age of the N810/N800 hardware, which was launched over a year and a half ago).

FYI & heads up: On eBay.de there are several N800 and N810 for sale, some new, some second hand. Be sure to ask for the recipe for the warranty, and know on which date it was purchased.

man i can't wait for the n900!