Active Topics

I have an n800, and have recently downloaded the VGBA - GameBoy Advance Emulator v3.5.1 because I have a lot of GBA games I'd like to play on the n800. I have one of the older GBAs - the SP version, if that matters.

Unfortunately, I can't quite understand what 'flash advance linker' I need to buy in order to upload the game cartridges so I can transfer them onto the n800. There's a lot of information out there, but I can't tell what I need or what I should buy. Or even where.

Help a blonde out, would you? Please?

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Try this site: http://www.gameboy-advance.net/flash...ash_linker.htm

It gives a time-line style overview of the flash linker cables and provides links to stores where you can buy them

Hope this helps

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Thanks for replying, josiah.

I had run across that site, and it was a little intimidating since I'm not very secure in my knowledge of this stuff. But I went through it again, and decided that the EZ-Flash Advance USB would probably do me okay. Right. So I went to the stores linked there, and not one had that item for sale, or even anything like it (that I could understand).

When I googled for the linker, I found this place, that has it exactly as pictured...but for $135??

The VGBA Author said the linkers were inexpensive, so I feel like I'm not looking at the right thing. But I don't know!

PS - when I clicked through the $135 price - it listed vendors that are either out of service, or don't have the linker anymore.

Am I out of luck? Anyone?

Edit: Anyone know if this will do the trick? Gah, I feel ultra blonde tonight.

Beuller?

Halp.

Last edited by green46; 2008-07-20 at 02:44.

That ultra expensive kit is the Development kit. I remember I was interested in programming for GBA systems a long time back and I took a look at it. The reason it's so expensive is it comes with a 512 megabyte flash card.

If I understand correctly, you just want the cable so you can back up your games to your computer and transfer them to the device right?

hmmm wow my bad... I looked into this a year or so ago and I found them everywhere for between $12 and $20. Now there doesn't seem to be one to be had for love or money :/

EDIT: However, the one you linked to should definitely do what you want it to.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
Why pay for a cable when you can just download the ROMs for the games you already own? It's the exact same thing as ripping from the actual cart.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Actually downloading them is not the same. In principle its the same, but not in law. If you want to "back up" your own roms, check this site out
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/
Just remember its not legal to be using both at the same time.

P.S. In my personal opinion, its better to just download your roms. Its faster, cheaper, etc... No one is really going to care.

Hmmm... they've got a good point. I didn't mention download sites because they're a legal gray area, but they're free and fast and if you own the physical game cart you can make the argument that it's the same as ripping your own ROM.

I would say that if you can deal with the legal ambiguity in good conscience this would be the way to go

Yes, all I want is to transfer and play my games to the n800. I was surprised that the linkers are no longer around - seems odd.

I'm happy with just downloading the roms, since I'll only do it for the games that I actually do own. Can you recommend some good sites to download from?

Thanks for the help!

Just go to Google and type in the name of the game you want to download...

I have a USB GBA linker somewhere, but it doesn't work with the SP (and a parallel version that doesn't work at all, IIRC).