Active Topics

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Hawaii
okay, maybe this is a silly question, but I really haven't heard or read anything about it. As a relatively new N800 user, I flashed my new toy as soon as I got it to the latest OS at the time (whatever it was prior to diablo coming out). Then about a week or so later, the 'big' announcement that diablo was being released and flash-upgrading was going to the wayside - "cool" I think and upgrade my IT to it....

it's been a few weeks again and I've added a lot of programs (with the help of many of you here, thank you) to my ever-growingly-useful N800 and have a question - how do I know when a new update for diablo will become available?

In the past few weeks, I've seen that orange "!" come up several times for various programs (okay, mostly Advance Backlight control) so I'm wondering if it will also one day come up for an update for diablo? Or will there be some other notification? Or do you just connect up your IT at various times to your computer to see if there are any updates....

does anyone know and can shed some light on this?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
No the updates are going to be over the air. just like the app updates. SO dont need to update by connecting to the computer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i hope they will also make firmware files available, as after some updates, the dowloads can become big if one have too start all the way from diablo...

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Hawaii
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
No the updates are going to be over the air. just like the app updates. SO dont need to update by connecting to the computer.
thanks for the info - I was very curious about this as I've not seen any talk about it at all...

Now I'll just have to wait for that big orange "!" to come up for diablo now!

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Just popped up on me last night for one of my apps. It doesn't only apply to Diablo updates, but for any app updates.

Whatever you need to update on diablo, it will all appear through the ! icon and be downloaded straight onto the tablet.

The reason it hasn't appeared for an OS update so far is that there hasn't been one, Diablo is the latest version.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Whatever you need to update on diablo, it will all appear through the ! icon and be downloaded straight onto the tablet.
It should be noted that you'll have to tap on the icon and tell it to install the updates. It will automatically notify you of updates, but you still have to manually start the update process.

The reason it hasn't appeared for an OS update so far is that there hasn't been one, Diablo is the latest version.
The codename for the SSU releases wont be changing so, technically, Diablo will remain the latest until Fremantle (presumably Maemo 5) is released. What will be changing (actually, I'm more like 99% on this one, but still) will be the OS version (i.e., 2.2008.51-3, 4.2008.23-14, etc.).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It should be noted that you'll have to tap on the icon and tell it to install the updates. It will automatically notify you of updates, but you still have to manually start the update process.
Well, yes, they will indeed have to tap on the icon. But that's a heck of a lot easier than the old method.

The codename for the SSU releases wont be changing so, technically, Diablo will remain the latest until Fremantle (presumably Maemo 5) is released. What will be changing (actually, I'm more like 99% on this one, but still) will be the OS version (i.e., 2.2008.51-3, 4.2008.23-14, etc.).
I thought each firmware release had its own codename?

Oh no wait, you're right, they did that power bug fix firmware without a new codename didn't they...

Well, whatever it's called, it will be available over the air by clicking on the ! icon. :-)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I thought each firmware release had its own codename?
I forgot the analogy.

OK, take Apple (a lot about OS X is actually fairly comparable with Maemo's situation), we have the OS, (Mac OS X, Maemo), the version (10.5, 4.1), the codenames (Leopard, Diablo) and the minor versions (10.5.4, 2.2008.50-2).

Now, Nokia being Nokia, there are plenty of inconsistencies Nokia-side with this analogy. Nokia can't even seem to decide whether they want only major releases to be codenamed (exactly like Apple), or both major releases and the more-significant minor releases. It seems like it'll be the later moving forward, but I doubt they're even sure of that.

In summary, no, not all upgrades get a codename, and SSU complicates things (it may help to think of the upcoming SSU updates as 4.1.1, etc. Much like we saw SDK-side with the 4.0.1 release to bring the SDK inline with 50-2).

Anyway, confusing enough for you?

As I haven't moved to Diablo yet (still on OS2007 in fact), I'm a bit curious about that flashing icon.. I take it it'll do an 'apt-get update' equivalent when you go online. Is there a way to turn that behaviour off, or control it manually? I may not always want it to transfer any more data than I need there and then, particularly if I go online (indirectly or directly) through a phone connection.