Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Moby View Post
These seem relatively cheap for a BT version.
This one work fine (assuming it makes the connection).

Originally Posted by Moby View Post
This one work fine (assuming it makes the connection).
assuming it makes the connection? can you explain more.
Does it lose connection frequently or is it difficult to make connection first time?

Thanks for your comments.

Well it made the connection the first time I ran it, I then tried to move to rich view and it wouldn't connect (when I've found this problem I stopped carman and when restarted it found it straight away ... not sure if this is an issue with changing to rich view when normal view is already open).

I have had only one disconnect whilst in use. Using Diablo, so hoping that "new" version of carman will have have some better connection software.

This one seems similar to the previously mentioned budget ELM327 interface, but it is enclosed all in one unit. Does anyone think this'll work?

EDIT: This interface works nicely.

Last edited by rememberthe8bit; 2008-08-25 at 16:16.

Originally Posted by rememberthe8bit View Post
This one seems similar to the previously mentioned budget ELM327 interface, but it is enclosed all in one unit. Does anyone think this'll work?

EDIT: This interface works nicely.
Did you're bluetooth pairing come up with a device name of Gendan? Were there any tricks you had to do to get it working?

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Orange County, CA, USA
I am waiting for this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001944LCO

to go below 100$ and I would buy it Everything else is a hack, or requires more than one device, which is not very comfortable.

Isn't it funny, there is only one video on youtube showing Carman. This is telling me, nobody is ready yet to invest that much money in such device.

And what's up with the new version of Carman? It was supposed to have many new features. Anybody knows the release date?

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
As I'm sure many others have noticed, Carman 0.7 has appeared in the Application Manager. I've downloaded it and it does look very professional. But, I'm wondering what devices will work with it? The web page on iNDT doesn't seem to reflect any information for 0.7, only 0.6.x.

Handful, any word on whether we can use the "cheap" ODB-II BT readers on e-Bay?

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
It would be helpful if carman could use other ways to connect ie. omap's usart (serial on tespads working in r&d mode, other /dev/ttyX comming from usb2serial converters on chipsets like prolific which are known to work).
In fact it's all about serial connection to hardware obd dongle so why just stick to bluetoth?
Ok, it's cool and fancy but many of my friend buy old laptops with serial ports only for obd diagnostics. I haven't seen any bt-obd just because serials are enough for typical usage.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
Sorry guys, please help a newb here, won't this work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-E...=p4506.c0.m245 ?
Or are you only considering wireless options?