Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'll help however I can; I'm pretty good at explaining complex techie stuff to non-geeks... give me a job

I think the booth should have tablets:
  • with a nicely stocked menu / home screen, for fooling around
  • running Numpty Physics
  • showing a full-screen movie (non-interactive)
  • running Maemo Mapper (w/GPS)
  • running Canola with a variety of pre-loaded media
  • video conferencing between two tablets
  • running a slide show in Quiver (or interactive browsing of pics)

perhaps, also:
  • VNC to a Windows or Mac laptop
  • running a game playable with a USB joystick / wii controller
  • hooked up to a monitor / TV via USB2VGA, with a slideshow
  • running a word processor (KOffice? AbiWord? OpenOffice?) with the ability to print, maybe with a nice BT keyboard
  • running an alternate WM (kde, icewm, enlightenment, xfce4, etc)

Anyway, just some ideas to think about...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
allnameswereout, the Summit will be taking place on your turf, which you obviously know well. Would you be able to use your knowledge of Berlin to recommend/locate a printing company that could produce custom t-shirts and stickers? I've tried Googling for a suitable company near c-base, but sadly, listening to KMFDM and Einstuerzende Neubauten during my teens left me only with decreased hearing ability, not an understanding of the German language.
Hi,

Excuse me for the late respose in this tight schedule.

It is IMO important, or useful, to get in touch with a local culture. In Berlin (and in Germany in general) people are able to speak English in various degrees. I've only been in Berlin one time, but various times in Germany, and I know some bits about the German computer culture. There is probably Club-Mate available at C-Base.

I've seen various print shops in Berlin, but I have no experience with them so cannot recommend a good price/quality deal. Also, the question whether they also print t-shirts? Stickers is probably no problem. Alternatively, you could print them anywhere in the world, and have them send to Berlin.

I used Google Maps and this was the result. A good online translator for European languages is Translate.eu, else let me know if you have specific questions. My German, text-wise, is pretty good.

I've forwarded your question to one of my Berliner friends. She is a designer, and might have first or second hand experience with print shops in her area.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Alternatively, you could print them anywhere in the world, and have them send to Berlin.
I've considered this option, at least for the stickers. My wife works with a guy who runs a motorcycle decal business, and while he'd need to see the winning logo before committing himself and providing pricing, he's interested in the job. Depending upon how many hundreds of stickers Mr. Gil dreams of affixing to tablets at the Summit and additional inanimate (and animate?) objects in central Berlin, I'd think there's a good chance I could bring the stickers with me in my luggage.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
...explaining complex techie stuff to non-geeks...
That's at least 60% of my day job right there, so if that's needed, sign me up too.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Qgil:

You sent an email to my inbox basically suggesting that I apply. I did, and it appears that you wasted my time, since, "this sponsorship program focuses on Maemo or OSS upstream developers with a clear involvement and on-topic contributions made. "

Next time remind me to ignore your message.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Qgil:

You sent an email to my inbox basically suggesting that I apply. I did, and it appears that you wasted my time, since, "this sponsorship program focuses on Maemo or OSS upstream developers with a clear involvement and on-topic contributions made. "

Next time remind me to ignore your message.
Please don't. My mistake, I'm dealing with many names and nicknames and I'm promoting the Summit through many channels. There have been many sponsorship requests from outside Europe (expensive trips) and the average budget for accommodation per person is bigger now than we all expected at the beginning. This is why we are being much more cautious approving requests.

But if I promised you sponsorship then you deserve it. My apologies again.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
I want to make some discussion-oriented event about UI design and optimizations. Hope this is interesting and useful theme for community. I actually don't know what's "BoF" but I think my talk will better to be in saturday sheudle.

The Following User Says Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
I want to make some discussion-oriented event about UI design and optimizations. Hope this is interesting and useful theme for community. I actually don't know what's "BoF" but I think my talk will better to be in saturday sheudle.
Sounds great. I guess drop a description on the BoF/workshop area on the talk page and I'll rework the schedule on the main page soon with updates.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Confirmed attendees: Fair warning that I'll be doing as many spot interviews (on video) as possible during the summit. Brief bios and links to your projects are welcome.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
My mistake, I'm dealing with many names and nicknames and I'm promoting the Summit through many channels.
On a second thought, it is good to remember that the registration form provides a link to those willing to request sponsorship: https://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2008/Sponsorship

Following the steps described in this page makes life easier for everybody. For instance:

• Edit your maemo.org profile providing all the relevant information about you in the Maemo context. This will help us knowing/remembering who are you and what are you doing here.
  • When registering, explain in your sponsorship request how can you contribute to the success of the Summit: run a session, get a responsibility in the organization, develop a demo to showcase... up to you. We just want to avoid sponsoring passive participants, no matter how much active they have been in the past. This sponsorship is not a prize for past contributions.

Tags
maemo.org