Active Topics

Originally Posted by josiahg777 View Post
Try installing Leafpad from the application manager.

Then create the .css file in Leafpad and copy it to the chrome folder
when i typed in .mozilla/microb/userContent.css it says fiile not found. i had already created the chrome directory then got stuck.
Should i go to leafpad and start over?

so i can't just email myself the string (code) and copy it from the email and paste it in the chrome directory?

Last edited by bd7; 2008-07-26 at 06:55.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Okay, so open leafpad and paste in the css code,

Then save the file to the "Documents" folder as "userContent.css"

Then, type the following command in xterm:

Code:
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/userContent.css /home/user/.mozilla/microb/userContent.css
That should do it
Feel free to PM me or post back here if you've got more questions

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

ok, havent tried the leafpad thing yet, could find it. but now im in mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css and i have copied the string Benson made for me to the clipboard.. how do i paste it? i dont know the command to paste and save.. thanks.

Originally Posted by josiahg777 View Post
Try installing Leafpad from the application manager.

Then create the .css file in Leafpad and copy it to the chrome folder
leafpad isnt in the application manager or in the installable applications either.. where do i find it?

[QUOTE=Benson;207126]Open up osso-xterm (Last entry under Utilities) to get to a command line, and then I think you'll need to make that directory...
Code:
cd .mozilla/microb/
mkdir chrome
cd chrome
... well, then it gets interesting, actually, because it ships without a decent text editor.

The simplest thing, if you can copy that to the clipboard exactly on your tablet, is to type
Code:
vi userContent.css
That will start the infamous vi editor; then press i to go to input mode, and then paste through the xterm's menu. Then, press Escape (that's the "back" hardware key), and type ZZ to save and exit.

QUOTE]

well.. i was in the chrome directory and pasted the code.. then hit the back button and typed ZZ but nothing happend.. so i exited and opend the web went to t-nation and it looked the same as before.. is ZZ to save supposed to confirm SAVED in anyway.. i might have typed zz not ZZ.. does that make a difference?

did it again and type capital ZZ and exited.. do i need to reboot or something.. still not working. it did seem to save the code when the ZZ command was given cause it moved the cursor down to the next line..

Last edited by bd7; 2008-07-26 at 07:34. Reason: adding info

question.. when i pasted the code i realized i didnt copy it all in the first place.. how do i delete the code once it's pasted so i can recopy and paste.. sounds simple but i can't find a "cut" or "delete" .

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
In normal mode (not insert/replace) press dd to delete the current line.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
it would be easiest to forget about vi at the moment because it can be frustrating if you do not know how to use it.

The best thing to do would be:
- open xterm
- type: cat >> /home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css
(only works if the chrome dir exists, if not you'll have to create it)
- paste in the css code
- press Ctrl in the xterm toolbar followed by the z key

you should now see something like:
[1] + Stopped cat 1>>.mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css
- you might have to restart your browser

look up the 'cat' command on the web, it is useful to view, create or append to files.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bousch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
I think that hint is great for small stuff, BUT

- Change the >> to > (otherwise you append which is not what you want probably)
- Press CTRL + D, not CTRL + Z. The latter backgrounds the program/job. The former sends an end of text and cat exits normally.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darklajid For This Useful Post:
Got your PM, bd7.

Yeah, Bousch is right; that cat stuff is actually the easy way; sorry for not thinking of it... (and darklajid is right... ^Z is used as EOF marker on DOS (inherited from CP/M, which I think inherited it straight from VMS?), ^D in UNIX).

From some of what you've said, I'm not quite sure you got it right.
/home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome should be a directory, and it should have a file in it named userChrome.css, with the contents as I posted, and with UNIX style newlines (^J). I'm not sure that MS-DOS style (^M^J) is a problem, but should be avoided anyway.
So a couple of checks; can you post the results of:
Code:
ls -l /home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome/
cat /home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css
(The cat ... should just dump the CSS file as posted; no need to post it unless it does something different or weird...)

(Actually, better way:
Code:
ls -l /home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome/ > /home/user/MyDocs/results.txt
cat /home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css >> /home/user/MyDocs/results.txt
and attach the results.txt to your post.)

And you will have to restart your browser after applying any CSS changes; the only easy way to ensure this is to reboot. (Forgot that too. )

But if your browser isn't rendering things the same, except for the font being two-thirds the size, the CSS isn't going to help. It seems you've got some strange setting in your browser, which is just weird.

To try checking for that, can you also post your prefs.js? That'd be:
Code:
cp .mozilla/microb/prefs.js MyDocs/prefs.js.txt
and then just attach it to your next post... (There shouldn't be much privacy-type info in here (not saved passwords, etc.), but do look over it before you post, and feel free to censor any URLs or domain names.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: