Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What would be the point? You can already do this by deleting the icons from the filesystem, why would you need to implement a GUI deletion method for ~400KB of icons?

Any additional sets are going to be distributed as deb packages which can be uninstalled with the Application manager, anyway.
I would imagine that the majority of users would not know what they are called, where they are located or that it would be safe to delete them.

However, if distributed as seperate packages then this performs the same function as requested so that's great - thanks.

(And remember 400k is most of the 640k that Bill Gates said we would ever need!)

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ San Miguel de Allende, MX
Umm... I really appreciate this detailed discussion of all the fine points of this useful app, but meanwhile I'm unable to install it (just pre-Diablo) as it apparently needs a whole slew of libs. Can somebody point me in the right direction, please (and how come install packages don't install or at least point to all the requisite libraries)?
I've downloaded it, and tried using the "install from file" command with A.M.

Last edited by xandor; 2008-08-02 at 18:26. Reason: clarification

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I think I've got some issues with this app (n810 diablo).
I've noticed that after some time - the backlit is working at it's maximum level.
When I click on app's icon - and just point stylus at the existing backlit slider (set to ie. 30%) - the display dimms to this 30%.
Looks like it brightens up (maybe if the light sensor is exposed to the high intensity light - just my guess) with time (changing it's max setting).

Last edited by XTC; 2008-08-02 at 18:58.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted by xandor View Post
Umm... I really appreciate this detailed discussion of all the fine points of this useful app, but meanwhile I'm unable to install it (just pre-Diablo) as it apparently needs a whole slew of libs. Can somebody point me in the right direction, please (and how come install packages don't install or at least point to all the requisite libraries)?
I've downloaded it, and tried using the "install from file" command with A.M.
If you are using Chinook, you need to use the .install / .deb from the chinook repository. Try downloading and installing this:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...14-3_armel.deb

Or else, in xterm try "apt-get install advanced-backlight" and see what happens.

XTC: Yeah, I don't have an N800 so I can't really test how the light sensor affects the operation of Advanced Backlight, but I would assume that is your problem. You can either disable it (there is a thread somewhere on the forum about this) or else wait for us to properly integrate light sensor support (may be a while, as it is not especially high priority at the moment). We are always looking for tips on how *you* think the light sensor should influence the application.

Last edited by rm_you; 2008-08-03 at 09:55.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
For me it would be perfect to have more control over sensor driven behaviour. Example: independently set backlit level for both bright and dimmed behaviour.
I have no idea if there is an access to sensor values to set threshold of triggering values but it would be cool (ie setting at which point to light up hw keyboard separately).
I think that now sensor event sets the max level set by the default applet.

my old light and sound icons at top come back and knockout my advanced light/sound icons. I haven't added any apps other than Debian since it started happening. I just removed and reinstalled Advanced Backlight to v14-3. It just did it again while in app mgr. The screen goes white, then wifi connection comes back then the old display/sound icons comeback. I then have to go to panels and click on old display/sound icons, hit ok, wait for the icons to reappear in menu then click back into Panels and unclick old display/sound icons. Has anyone reported this other than me? TIA

Last edited by dan; 2008-08-08 at 22:09.

You have experienced a hildon-desktop crash, typically caused by a bug in some applet you have loaded. It then restarts hildon-desktop with everything in a known clean configuration, to avoid some applet crashing on initialization and causing a loop. Just open the control panel, go to panels, and click OK without changing anything and it'll restore your config for the navigator and taskbar panels; you'll have to restore the home-screen applets manually.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Thanks Benson. I will give it a try. I guess you mean OM weather? Will do. I will report back in a few days. Thanks

Last edited by dan; 2008-08-08 at 22:22.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ San Miguel de Allende, MX
Originally Posted by rm_you View Post
If you are using Chinook, you need to use the .install / .deb from the chinook repository. Try downloading and installing this:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...14-3_armel.deb

Or else, in xterm try "apt-get install advanced-backlight" and see what happens.
(finally getting back to this!)
Thanks, RM_YOU, but this hasn't helped. "apt-get" acted like it was doing something, but subsequent install attempts with A.M. produced the same result (and I downloaded from your suggested repository). The libraries are all still unavailable.
I'm running OS2007, 38-2, if that's germane.

I don't understand why all the libraries aren't just linked/compiled in!
(but I'm not much up on Linux, admittedly).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by xandor View Post
I'm running OS2007, 38-2, if that's germane.

Advanced Backlight only supports OS2008.