Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
one thing about slapping a existing os on a tablet, the interface is rarely built for it...

just look at the issues one have with a non-hildonized port of a gtk app for example?

now consider using a desktop windows app on a small screen. i dont know about anyone else, but it gives me the creeps, and im ok with using a stylus...

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Talking about Atom and possibility to load Vista on upcoming MID products... I'd say no thanks! Even "Blazing fast" Atom at 1.6GHz is pathetically slow, even when compared to bottom of the barrel desktop CPU solutions:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...t,1981-11.html

Better stick with tablet optimized OS'es...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
one thing about slapping a existing os on a tablet, the interface is rarely built for it...

just look at the issues one have with a non-hildonized port of a gtk app for example?

now consider using a desktop windows app on a small screen. i dont know about anyone else, but it gives me the creeps, and im ok with using a stylus...
In general, I agree: anyone who thinks that they'll get their hearts desire by increasing the resolution and having some form of binary compatibility, so they can run their favorite desktop app, is going to be in for a huge disappointment.

But ... the other side of the coin is: that level of discomfort is a personal issue, and not a universal one. And other needs often offset that discomfort (for example, a very specific personal or business need might make the discomfort completely moot). If it can be done for reasonable (economic, mobility, power) cost, binary compatibility should be consideration.

It will be interesting, to me, to see what kinds of heat/power/cost/size/weight the MID designs end up with, being based around the Atom (or for the Via Nano, for the ones that go in that direction). If they end up being comparable to the NIT on those levels, then it becomes harder for the NIT to say "it wont work to go in that direction". But until we see them out in the field, it's all guess work.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Discomfort isn't personal anymore if a statistically significant group experiences the same feeling. While not universal, most people feel uncomfortable with a command line prompt. This doesn't mean a command line prompt is uncomfortable, nor comfortable. All it means is that a statistically relevant percentage of the group feel uncomfortable with the command line prompt; in such case, calling this 'personal issue' is simply belittling the problem, not taking the statistically relevant group of people seriously. Calling this 'universal' would imply we (almost) all agree (minus a statistically irrelevant number of individuals). That isn't the case either.

This is also exactly why I wanted to know the context of the ideas. I want to know how many persons suggest what, and their pros/cons. But perhaps the task is quite large.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
My thoughts exactly.. hence my ambivalence to processor type--I just advantages of running Linux, not necessarily compatibility with other architectures. Even WINE seems kind of pointless--I'm not sure there's a lot of need for that on a tablet without a mouse and a keyboard. I've got better things to do than run Windows apps on my tablet.

True... well said.
Frankly, I believe Crossover for Linux or WINE is quite an advantage on a x86 nettop / mini laptop because only the mere possibility of being able to use it to run a niche application only available closed source on Windows, is a sigh of relief. If I look back, I can think of countless small applications I'd love to have used on a NIT/MID or perhaps mini-laptop.

There are hardware implementations of the SIDchip, but AFAIK not small, embedded ones requiring no interface.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Discomfort isn't personal anymore if a statistically significant group experiences the same feeling. While not universal, most people feel uncomfortable with a command line prompt. This doesn't mean a command line prompt is uncomfortable, nor comfortable. All it means is that a statistically relevant percentage of the group feel uncomfortable with the command line prompt; in such case, calling this 'personal issue' is simply belittling the problem, not taking the statistically relevant group of people seriously. Calling this 'universal' would imply we (almost) all agree (minus a statistically irrelevant number of individuals). That isn't the case either.

This is also exactly why I wanted to know the context of the ideas. I want to know how many persons suggest what, and their pros/cons. But perhaps the task is quite large.
question is, does the discomfort come from unfamiliarity?

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet...
Bring back the flip cover (detachable), but also put an e-ink display on the cover. Then tie the primary screen and the flip cover together in X so that they can either both display the same image, or addressed separately. Also, put the e-ink display on both sides of the flip, so that you can have it be useful both opened and closed.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet...
Bring back the flip cover (detachable), but also put an e-ink display on the cover. Then tie the primary screen and the flip cover together in X so that they can either both display the same image, or addressed separately. Also, put the e-ink display on both sides of the flip, so that you can have it be useful both opened and closed.
Good lord. Did you miss the realistically in the topic title?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Good lord. Did you miss the realistically in the topic title?
E-ink isn't realistic? There's several devices shipping now that have e-ink (Amazon Kindle, that Sony ebook reader, etc). Now e-ink isn't usable as a primary display for most applications due to slow refresh, but it could make a fine secondary display, and it can be made thin enough to be embedded into a protective flip cover.

Except for the price, but that should be coming down soon. So in that case, it might need to wait for the n950.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
and to argue that "what business people [need]" somehow defines what is or isn't a laptop is the tail wagging the dog (or a poor straw-man argument). Not every laptop is for business use. Not ever laptop needs to be for business use.

NITs don't have to satisfy boardroom pointy-hairs in order to be laptop replacements. They simply have to satisfy all of the mobile general purpose computing needs of some segment of the market. And in order to be successful, that market segment merely has to be big enough to support itself.

Any argument about "it's not a laptop because it can't do powerpoint presentations in a boardroom" is specious at best.
Uhh, businesses buy millions of 'laptops' for their employees each year. Sorry, they aren't buying tablets and sorry, but 9 of the 10 apps I use daily simply cannot be made to work on a tablet; nor would I expect my employees to stare at a 4" screen all day. I'd have no employees left because they would all leave, or they would all be on disbility ffrom the migraines they would get from staring at a 4" screen for 6 hours per day.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist