Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Yeah there is one big big drawback!

You get addicted!!

You have to enjoy open source and getting your hands dirty to get the most out of the N810. Its a playground for someone that likes to spend their time tinkering with the OS rather than just download apps and go.

You'll never see super polished or easy to use software on it other than the occasional project like Canola. That said, there is thousands of people who use linux on a daily basis, and if you're one of those users this is a good extension of that.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Yeah there is one big big drawback!

You get addicted!!
Very true, very very true....

The thing is, drawback compared to what? The iPhone? An Archos 605?
I think the biggest drawback is the lack of commercial software, because now everyone is developing for the iPhone, no one cares about the poor tablets. Therefore, there are very few "polished" apps, and almost all the apps are in some form of beta this or beta that. But that is not always a drawback is it?

Neither the N800 nor the N810 has a usable text editor (in my opinion) -- nothing like Palm DocsToGo or the applications available for mobile windows. The iPhone doesn't either. The implementation of the Palm Garnet OS for the Nokia DOES allow one to use DocsToGo, but syncing that information with a computer is quite problematic (it does't work for me). One hopes the next implementation of Garnet for the Nokia will allow access to the files it creates. Meanwhile, I keep carrying around my Palm. My question: why in the world is there no decent word processing app for the Nokia? Abiword still doesn't work. In any case, if you need the Nokia for word-processing, you'll have to wait. Its browser is far inferior to the iPhone, but its screen is much better and it's a fine device for reading ebooks using FictionBook. It also does a good job showing pictures, though the built-in program is wretched.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
The N810 is a "scab edge" device, just behind the bleeding edge, where the blood has dried.
As mentioned if you are willing to:
Get your hands dirty - great apps
or
Suffer with the limited existing Nokia apps.
It's a great device.

The main disappointment I've found is the slow introduction of 16Gb microsdhc cards. I've two 4Gb cards filled and one dedicated to boot from mmc.

The Wimax version which is coming out will suffer from limited geographic usability, primarily Baltimore and Washington DC.

Because of the rapid software development there is a lot of "beta" that is very useful, but may never get finished because someone else does it better.
PLEASE use the Wiki