Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
I have a Nokia 770 and it says OS2006 with Version 2.2006.39-14

I tried installing the Gregale on my 770 but I get a green Canola screen with no icons. I know others have had this problem in the past, but I couldnt' find anyone that had solved this issue.

Appreciate your help.
The only way I could make it to work on my 770 OS2006 was to install it on a new reflashed OS2006. Then add the other programs one by one. Once it works, it works very well on OS2006. The first time I tried without the reflash, and it wouldn't even start at all. The teams don't support the OS2006 any more, but Canola 2 should work on 770 OS2006. I use it even more than I use it on my N800 because of the better battery life on my 770.

Last edited by racky; 2008-07-26 at 03:22.

First of all, thanks for canola, it's THE app to show off ITs
Now, this is a feature request. Long time ago, in the previous century, I had a technics discman that had a single push button in the headphones cord. A single press of this button paused/resumed playback, two quick presses skipped forward to the next track, and three went back to the previous one.
Something like this for canola, using the packed in headphones would be amazing for music playback on the move.
What do you guys think?

First of all, thanks to the Canola team for making such a great app. My friend got an iTouch - my IT has got it beat, at half the price!

For all those having problems with the album covers, I did the following. It's a band-aid, but it works.

1. The config file Canola points to /home/user/.canola/covers as the default directory for album cover pointers. I could not get my covers to display (Diablo, Beta9 + plugin). So, I deleted this "covers" folder and made a symbolic link to my removable media card. I made a folder called "/media/mmc1/music/covers". Then, I made a link to point to this folder:

ln -s /home/user/.canola/covers /media/mmc1/music/covers

2. It appears that Canola looks for cover art in a folder within "covers" that must exactly match the artist, then album name. So for example: "...covers/Dave Matthews/Some Devil". Within that folder, I copied the cover art to "cover.jpg" (large) and "cover-small.jpg" (small).

3. Have the canola plugin update the album art and you should be good to go.

If you use the album art update before moving files, the plugin will create the proper folder name. I didn't realize this at first and could have saved me some headaches with the exact spelling of some albums/artists. Anyways, this is a quick fix and only because I could not get my album covers to work.

I love Canola, but would it be possible to add a feature like a super-shuffle? Something that would spin through all the cover art, then land on a random song within that album? Also, I have a lot of audio books that I keep separate from music. A separate folder for books would be awesome.

Thanks again to the canola team!

Originally Posted by handful View Post
...Canola tries (have been improving since beta 1) to support most of id3Tags, but it's quite hard to support all formats (there are differentes, in genres, etc) and we think we are at least a lot better than beta7 and backwards. So , if you still have the files.. it would be of great use to detect the problems in them.
I´ve discovered that tags with no data in the 'Album' field will not show in the artists list. So for my set of files with this info casually neglected I had to set just anything there to workaround this problem.

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by khalid View Post
I have two 8GB cards. Normal startup time for canola is typically 3-5 seconds which is plenty fast. This morning it hung again at "Updating media library". I finally killed it after 40 minutes of being hung in that state. The little rotating circle showing activity was still going after 40 minutes. Since canola does start up in 3-5 seconds most of the time for me, I am guessing it is not the card size issue.
I have an 8-GB card on my N810, and same problem.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Vinc17 :

This is for sure a file (bug in scanner) that breaks the scanner holding the refresh.
Can you try (deselecting folders) trying to finding out what folder / file is breaking? then we will be able to reproduce the bug and fix it!

This is really not near normality : /

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by handful View Post
Can you try (deselecting folders) trying to finding out what folder / file is breaking?
Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce the problem, but perhaps because of some cache? If I update the folders from Settings, there's no problem.

does anyone have sound quality issues? When I stream internet radio (just the basic bbc music station) through the built in streaming app the sound quality is pretty good. When I play it through the Canola streamer it sounds muffled. Had both volume levels turned all the way up. Thought it was odd.

I also don't see all my files. The scroll bar disappears as I try to drag it down. Tried viewing some videos off of an SD card. Tried searching through the thread but couldn't find anything.

Other than that, I like the interface. Seems slick.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Westfield, IN
I have been using Canola for my podcast for a while, and noticed that it has trouble with several podcasts.

For Scientific American, it cannot download episodes:
http://www.sciam.com/podcast/sciam_podcast_r.xml

I also have a handful of podcasts that require and username and password. Canola downloads the episodes but can't seem to play them. I end up going to Media Player and playing them there.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Geeks..
Thanks for the report. We need those URL / issues from you (users) to be able to check and fix it.

If it's not playing, maybe you already have mplayer as playback and this is blocking the playback of the format.

So I will add this, as it's quite strange that the it's mp3 file and it's not playing :/

Thanks for the info

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org