Notices

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Yep, mp3 is still the most supported audio format out there. However, support other formats like ogg for the Media Streamer would be great. Maybe some options in the settings to install codecs and pluggins to allow for some customization could fix this issue.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

I got it running on Mac. Tried connnect360, no go. Uninstalled that, installed the twonkey media server and my powerbook appears in the server list! It was that simple for me...

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
ogg-format is more demanding on processor cycles and could have as much as a 10% decrease in battery life, compared to MP3.

Who knows, Nokia might have thought of that. Stranger things have happened before...
Talking about Nokia 770 Battery life, when streaming Audio and video direct to the Nokia 770 is a very good point in general Karel.

When I have been testing the Nokia 770 with mplayer and or streaming music wirelessly through non standard and standard Nokia 770 Audio/Video players,I have noticed that the battery gets easily "severely caned" and does not last very long before going to the last bar and brown in colour. If I switch off the Nokia and allow it to recover for a little, while it generally goes back up-to approx half/way and green. (I like to call this the "Reservoir Impact" where the stream (Power) is being released quicker than reservoir can re-fill effect)

Now when streaming my AV to the Nokia 770 I do not want to care "at all" what the originating format of my files/URL's Feeds etc. being passed by the Server to the Player are on my PC, but I do care that the formats being streamed from my PC are easy on the Nokia's combined processing capabilities such that battery life is not quickly compromised.

This is where the TVersity (Transcoding) Media Server could be a real star, providing specific streamed formats that the Nokia 770 and other mobile devices of the future are able to support while maintaining an excellent battery life.

Here is another thread that discusses issues which I believe are related to a fast battery drain occurance. http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...00&postcount=1

l doubt the decoding power difference of mp3 vs ogg has any impact whatsoever compared to the battery load of keeping the radio powered to stream the files over from the server... My iAudio player certainly has no measurable difference in battery life between playing mp3 and ogg.

lf anyone figures out how to use Media Streamer with Mythtv, l'm curious. Not having much luck with mine.

Originally Posted by =DC=
What server? What file? Remember, the devil is in the details...
My statement "Seems the server is down that is hosting the file.... any alternative links?"

Well I guess we can pretty much deduce that:

A) a server that is mediastreamer related
B) a file that is mediastreamer related

Just kidding.

Repository/binary link was down at that moment

I've succesfully installed both Mediatreamer and Simple Centre but neither can see the other. They are both linked to the same wireless network. Can anyone help me please?

Cracked it! I had to enable the X-Box port (For some reason that option did not strike me at first).

Does that mean my 770 will soon be competing with the X-Box

Last edited by Jejoma; 2006-09-05 at 11:07.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
for Mac users: I tried Allegro too and it did not work. Right now I am using Elgato EyeConnect 1.1 and it works really well, but, as the Twonky one, is a commercial application.
I tried to install the port of gstreamer from DarwinPorts, but had no luck in that. I'll try if Fink has it. Or I'll need to compile it on my own.

UPDATE: tried also NiceCast and again no luck.
I finally found a free Media Server that works great: the Philips Media Manager. It's closed source, but at least it's free.

Here is the link: <http://www.streamium.philips.com/>

Choose your language and then click on "Philips Media Manager".

Last edited by anidel; 2006-09-05 at 11:47.

Originally Posted by Jejoma
Cracked it! I had to enable the X-Box port (For some reason that option did not strike me at first).
If you got to settings/server it will list the ports that need to be opened.

Originally Posted by syam
STEP 1
Download and install a mediaserver to your PC. Mediaserver is software for sharing content from your PC. You can do it e.g. with software called SimpleCenter. Download SimpleCenter to your PC from www.simplecenter.com/nokia
F*ck!

Why Linux-powered device should depend on Windows media-server?

So, Linux-users can't play it.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Originally Posted by mpancorbo
F*ck!

Why Linux-powered device should depend on Windows media-server?

So, Linux-users can't play it.
GMediaStreamer for Linux works well for it. The link is somewhere in this thread.
3pm - So good, it's illegal