You can now use telnet to run your TiVo, according to engadget. Should be trivial to make it work on the N800; indeed, there's already a script up in the comments that should do it.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ NJ USA
OK, dumb question. The information says to telnet into my series 3 tivo. telnet? how quaint. Will ssh work, and, and does my n800 have telnet?

Last edited by MP2100; 2008-05-02 at 17:40. Reason: vague

The Following User Says Thank You to MP2100 For This Useful Post:
No, and no. I'll repost the script below...
You need netcat; the TiVo is not using the telnet protocol. ssh does not either work with telnet protocol, or transmit raw data over a TCP link. The latter is what's needed.
"we're sure it's only a matter of time before folks devise some slightly more useful means of exploiting this interesting find."

Here ya go!
(Dependencies: UNIX, Bourne shell, netcat, gxmessage)
And seriously, this should work, but having no TiVo, can't confirm. Let me know what happens, if anyone tries it. I recommend a Zaurus or Nokia IT, but with the awesomeness of the SDK, I'm sure someone will have X, GTK+, and gxmessage running on the iPhone any day now...

Code:
#!/bin/sh
while true ; do
  response=`gxmessage -center -borderless -nofocus -print -buttons "CHANNELUP CHANNELDOWN PLAY PAUSE FORWARD REVERSE"`
  echo "IRCODE "$response |nc tivo.example 31339
done

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There's now a more graceful solution. Somebody has written a very nice Python script with a gui which runs quite nicely on the N800. It needs to be run with the "-l" (L) option for landscape, unless you have screen rotation. It's a breeze to add entry to Personal Menu to start it up.

EDIT: Version 9.4 of the Tivo software now has a setting to enable/disable this feature. It's in the settings menu under "Network Remote Control".

Here's a link to the script and the forum where it's discussed, and a screenshot:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4&d=1218212178

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=392385&page=8
Attached Images

Last edited by sd_proto; 2008-08-25 at 21:02.