Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Unemployed Network Engineer, Cisco and the like.
Wow, all these recent graduates and students. When I took my first Comp Sci course we actually used punch cards! Seriously.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I'll be a medical doctor in about half a year.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Medical doctor, but have been manager of a gait lab in a hospital and now a uni lecturer and researcher with a PhD in artificial neural networks used in clinical gait analysis. I am a biomechanist currently researching virtual rehabilitation.

I'm an almost-retired programmer, becoming a novelist, and I got the N800 for my writing, not my programming. In fact, I have tried hard not to use my experience as a programmer to work with the N800. I prefer to be an N800 newbie and keep things simple.
- tobias d. robison, author of Raven's Gift http://ravensGift.com

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
Well, I am not quite punch card...
Programmed on
TI-994A, Vic 20, Commodore 64 (hex, binary with compiler, and basic), Tandy TRS-80 models 1-111, Ace Franklin 1000, Apple 2e (yay turtle graphics!!), then configured a lab and taught hypercard classes on Mac SE's, then took classes, in turbo pascal, fortran, and cobol, Played with and then consulted on Windows 3.1, 3.11, NT 3.51, blah blah blahh, worked at Univ of Oregon AAA as network and hardware tech while attending while taking physics, mathematics, and electronics, ran majordomo and web servers for AAA while learning c++, did 3-d animation (3ds-max, softimage, form-z, too many others) and special effects development, video devel, audio gen and multimedia production for a group in Eugene, OR while learning javascript and c-shell scripting for cgi gateways . Corp logo and print material devel, web site devel, and then worked for an elementary school as tech coordinator, and then the school district... then a library, running HP-UX servers and teaching the public about the 'real history' of the net, email, productivity, etc. way too much...
Now, believe it or not, I am managing/buying a convenience store, on an island in the North Puget Sound. Still have a computer consulting business, but mostly see existing clients, and am not actively seeking new ones, as I put 60-80 hours a week into my store. sometimes think I must be clinically insane....

my n810 keeps me on track with two teenage boys, my wife, my ex-wife, work, consults, oh, and I am the Scoutmaster for our local troop...

Er, time warp here, folks. Currently a State official, was Presidential appointee (one of thousands) in Reagan Administration (OK, it was late in the administrfation and he didn't know what he was doing) and started programming w/punch cards about 45 years ago. I would retire, but my wife would put me to work, and we certainly wouldn't want that. . . K.

I'm so old that when I started programming we only had zeros!

Occupation: Manager of an R&D department (mechanical engineering) for a multinational company. Did some sysadmin for CAD purposes on an Apollo Domain_OS system some years ago. Anyone ever heard of these workstations? (HP took them over in the late 90's)

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Currently unemployed/semi-retired/on sabbatical...

Was previously a database analyst/administrator for 23 years. Guess what? When I got out of university, the one thing that I did *not* want to be was a DBA -- but it was the first job offered to me, and since I was tired of being a poor/starving student -- the rest is history!

P.S. Yes, I am old enough that I used punched cards for the first 2 years of university

Sys admin for a kick *** company, after a few years as a sys admin for a horrible (web hosting) company and a year of tech support at the same place. Also a few years making pizzas. I've worked at 3 places for a total of about 8 years.

Can I count myself as a part time student if I've taken 2 classes in the past 3 years? I really hope to go back (maybe even graduate) before 30.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
well well well, look who it is
Who? Where?

EDIT: I confess. I'm just a Hack Irritant. Career-wise I'm actually a Professional Sleeper. In fact, I'm almost on the clock now...

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-08-26 at 02:58.

Tags
jobs