Notices

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by cjackiewicz
Probably will work. Big problem is sound (in BfW too). All sounds is in ogg format; sdl_mixer not support this, so all voices need reencoded to mp3 or recompile sdl_mixer with ogg support.
Yes, that's a real problem. While MP3 is still common for audio collections, OGG is a de-facto standard for games.

If you decide to recompile SDL_Mixer with ogg support, make sure that you use fixed point vorbis implementation (Tremor). But even in this case decoding audio in realtime will take quite a significant share of CPU resources. The best solution would be to have support for decoding vorbis using DSP core and also use DSP core for audio in SDL_Mixer as it is a common high level API used in many games. Feel free to add your vote for this issue in bugzilla

PS. It is good to see more game developers in this forum

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I groaned at the prospect of pulling out a Civilizations game again... I remembered how 8 hours seemed to pass by in mere seconds when being engrossed in it.

... but being a glutton for punishment, I slapped FreeCiv onto my 770. EXCELLENT job, it's completely playable, menus work well, and I just had a 45 min commute on transit seem like it took a few minutes. My only gripe is that I didn't want to put it down.

I downloaded the freeCic 2.0.8 but I'm not managing to get it to work.

I get the starting page up, but then nothing happens??? Can someone help me with this issue??

Btw. How well does the application function in online games?

Thank you.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
... did you click 'File', 'New Game'?

Thank you.
Just getting to know the device, and looked only for options on the screen (none), and did not manage to press all the buttons before posting. Going to do that in the future...

I can't figure out how to attack and sometimes when I end a turn AI takes over my player... so it's 6 computer players battling it out. Otherwise it was fun as hell! Not being able to figure out how to attack kind of defeats the purpose of the game though.

yes - i dont get the controls or what i have to do in the game or wat my name is ??? im so confused lol

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
I can't figure out how to attack and sometimes when I end a turn AI takes over my player... so it's 6 computer players battling it out. Otherwise it was fun as hell! Not being able to figure out how to attack kind of defeats the purpose of the game though.
Have you tried declaring war first? At least I was stuck on attacking because I thought that it would work the same way as in the good old Civilization. But then I found this http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/FAQ...r.27s_units.3F

www.teemuharju.net

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Turku - Finland
I've got my N800 two hours ago, and first application I installed was FreeCiv. All 5 minutes of playing it didn't revealed any flaws, so for now I would call this application OS2007-compatible.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki
got my N810 some days ago.. and of course would love to play my favorite strategy game with it. of course didn't have high hopes on the current version working on the 810.. those hopes got higher when the game installed ok but then, unffortunately it doesn't start..

anyone know of development going on to make a working version for the N810? please? )