Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Westwood, CA
Hi there, first of all, I am EXTREMELY impressed by this application. It is very enjoyable to use, and looks very polished.

There is one issue that I have in my installation, however, and I am wondering whether this is just my fault, or if it is a standard feature. When I am in the Photos application, if I choose to view by Album, the list of albums (the folders which contain my pictures) is not sorted in alphabetical order.

At first, it was not clear to me what order they were sorted in, but it seems to correspond to the order in which the folders were initially created on the filesystem.

Similarly, the order of the photos within a given album also appeared to be sorted by the order of when they were last modified on the filesystem. This was not a big issue for me, because then I just used the "touch" command to adjust the order of the modification timestamps to match the alphabetical sort order.

But is this normal across all installations of beta9? If it is just something wrong with my own device, it would be helpful for me to find out so that I can try to fix it, rather than waiting for a new version of Canola.

Once again, congratulations on your marvelous program!

Regarding that mention of the sci-am podcasts...

A while ago, I filed a bug report about Scientific American podcasts:
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?fu...=125&atid=1989

I think this applies to any podcast with a similar format.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-08-26 at 05:40.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Originally Posted by poshenloh View Post
Hi there, first of all, I am EXTREMELY impressed by this application. It is very enjoyable to use, and looks very polished.

There is one issue that I have in my installation, however, and I am wondering whether this is just my fault, or if it is a standard feature. When I am in the Photos application, if I choose to view by Album, the list of albums (the folders which contain my pictures) is not sorted in alphabetical order.

At first, it was not clear to me what order they were sorted in, but it seems to correspond to the order in which the folders were initially created on the filesystem.

Similarly, the order of the photos within a given album also appeared to be sorted by the order of when they were last modified on the filesystem. This was not a big issue for me, because then I just used the "touch" command to adjust the order of the modification timestamps to match the alphabetical sort order.

But is this normal across all installations of beta9? If it is just something wrong with my own device, it would be helpful for me to find out so that I can try to fix it, rather than waiting for a new version of Canola.

Once again, congratulations on your marvelous program!
Hi! thanks for the nice words, they are our fuel.

so about sorting, yes, indeed is date wise what is not optimal. So for a while I have been requesting to have a simple grid and plus also more sorting options.

Some sort is coming in the new release, even for youtube, but maybe pictures will need one more update, because we want to give users everything that they asked (sorting, sequence etc)

I think we will be able to deploy still in september 2 releases. so Prepare to test and see if solves your problem!

Br

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
A while ago, I filed a bug report about Scientific American podcasts:
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?fu...=125&atid=1989
I added your request to the test library of rss feeds. changes are coming in the newest release, so if this is not fixed there, it will be in september still.

Br

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Westwood, CA
Originally Posted by handful View Post
Hi! thanks for the nice words, they are our fuel.

so about sorting, yes, indeed is date wise what is not optimal. So for a while I have been requesting to have a simple grid and plus also more sorting options.

Some sort is coming in the new release, even for youtube, but maybe pictures will need one more update, because we want to give users everything that they asked (sorting, sequence etc)

I think we will be able to deploy still in september 2 releases. so Prepare to test and see if solves your problem!

Br

Marcelo
Thanks for your very fast reply! I look forward to testing the next release! Also, if you do not mind my asking you further about the current date-sort for the albums (folders): what "date" do you sort against for the folders? Do you use the last-modified timestamp for the directory? It almost seems that you use the original creation date for the directory, but I am not sure. It would be wonderful if you could tell me exactly what is used, because then I can adjust the timestamps appropriately.

Best,

--Po

Where can I get a copy of Canola2 - beta8?
i upgraded and it won't run.
I get an error about libXfixes.so.3, but I'm running os2006 on my 770 and there is no such file. I do have libXfixes.so.0.2.0.
I did the cleanup and I still have the same error.
I probably have some wrong lib loaded, but it could take quite a while to find.
So, just going back to beta8 would keep me going for now.

Thanks

desiv
p.s. I tried linking so.3 to so.0, but then I get an illegal exception.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Hi,

first of all: good work! Your app is very well done, I'd be glad to donate a few euros, do you have a donation account somewhere?

Now, comments.

A small issue: I renamed a watched photo folder, and the new name appeared in the Photo Albums, but the old one was still there. I had to remove and re-add the folder to make it disappear.

Another issue: at startup, the "loading Canola" round icon hangs for around 15 seconds... is it normal?

Now the wish list:

- photo and album ordering by name (I know you know )

- photo browsing in full screen mode with 1 click and no side icons. Now if I want to move to the next photo, 3 clicks are needed (click to show side icons, click to move to next photo, click to hide side icons), and that's annoying. Moreover, I'd like to see the same smooth and fast browsing in full screen mode as in review mode, that would make it the definitive photo viewer.

- When Selecting for "Cover Arts", cover are not visible in th first menu, but only in the "horizontal browsing" menu. Would be nice to have them there too.

That's it for the moment

ciao, Umberto

Hi,

first of all: good work! Your app is very well done, I'd be glad to donate a few euros, do you have a donation account somewhere?
don't worry about that We are honored that you would like to donate money, this is a great compliment, but we are a small company and we don't plan to charge for Canola2 betas. And of course if we planned to do that in the future, we would like to give the best support, updates and so on, and I think we still on track to find this level but we are never satisfied

A small issue: I renamed a watched photo folder, and the new name appeared in the Photo Albums, but the old one was still there. I had to remove and re-add the folder to make it disappear.
We are working harder on the scanner to find ways to make it refresh itself more reliable. This is one of the reasons while canola takes a little bit more to startup.

Our plan is to let you choose if you wanna scan the disc everytime canola starts or if you want to do that manually. Anyways, you would need at least to refresh media

Another issue: at startup, the "loading Canola" round icon hangs for around 15 seconds... is it normal?
Well, like I said, the scanner is looking for changes, to avoid problems, but it's not working reliable today.. so itn eeds to be improved and the choice of not doing that needs to be added.

Now the wish list:

- photo and album ordering by name (I know you know )
Yeah, on the list, working on this

- photo browsing in full screen mode with 1 click and no side icons. Now if I want to move to the next photo, 3 clicks are needed (click to show side icons, click to move to next photo, click to hide side icons), and that's annoying. Moreover, I'd like to see the same smooth and fast browsing in full screen mode as in review mode, that would make it the definitive photo viewer.
You actually pointed out something really important here, that if you want clean browsing it's quite complicated. I think we can refine this to be morelike you said and it will for sure improve it.

About the speed. the problem is not actually canola, but how big is your photos. the fulllscreen view really picks up the best quality, so if you photos are big, it will take time to read it from the disk and change from on to another. In the review screen, we pick up lower quality preview, and we "pre-load" some pictures ahead of the one you are looking, that's why it's seems faster.

Anyhow, this is a really powerful comment, that can bring a lot of improvements with simple changes in ui, but a little bit more complicated changes in the coding. But I am goin to be honest: to try to make things smoother, but then people trying to have fast switch between photos on their 7 mega pixel photos will be quite hard

- When Selecting for "Cover Arts", cover are not visible in th first menu, but only in the "horizontal browsing" menu. Would be nice to have them there too.
You mean in the "browse by album" right?

That's it for the moment

ciao, Umberto
Good set of comments, for sure I think a little bit more complex that a simple change, but it will definitely make canola better for a lot of users

BR

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Thank you for the answers...!

A few comments below:

We are working harder on the scanner to find ways to make it refresh itself more reliable.
Well, in that case, the new folder name appears, therefore a folder scan has been done. But the old folder is still there as well. (Are maybe two kinds of scanning? Just for new folders and complete scans?)

You actually pointed out something really important here, that if you want clean browsing it's quite complicated. I think we can refine this to be morelike you said and it will for sure improve it.
I don't think it should be a big task that one. Actually if you tap everywhere on the photo you show side icons. You may change it in order to show side icons only for tappings near the side (exactly where the icons are), and to move to next photo when tapping on the rest (wide center) of the photo (or something like that). That would dramatically improve the browsing experience.

About the speed. the problem is not actually canola, but how big is your photos. the fulllscreen view really picks up the best quality, so if you photos are big, it will take time to read it from the disk and change from on to another. In the review screen, we pick up lower quality preview, and we "pre-load" some pictures ahead of the one you are looking, that's why it's seems faster.
I always resize photos to 1024x768 before uploading them to the tablet pc. It's less than 1 Mpx and at the end not so bigger than those on the review screen. That's why I think a similar browsing experience may be ported to full screen (at least as good as the default image viewer, which it seems to pre-load one or two following photos).

You mean in the "browse by album" right?
No, I mean Audio -> My Music -> Cover Arts. There's then a list of all the albums with no covers (just squares with music notes), and covers appears only when clicking in one of the albums.

Anyway, having small covers to browse by album would be nice too.

Good set of comments, for sure I think a little bit more complex that a simple change, but it will definitely make canola better for a lot of users
BR
Thanks, and thumbs up again for you and your team!
Hope to be there for World Cup 2016 ;-)

ciao, Umberto

Originally Posted by umberto_soprano
Hope to be there for World Cup 2016 ;-)
The world cup is in 2014. ;-)