Active Topics

Mine is made in Germany too.

So far i had 3 broken displays and the "Crack of Doom".
Right now i'm waiting for my replacement unit and i am praying that i get an estonian model.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Estonia, no issues. You guys with the high pitched noise issue, are you young? Monitors and stuff used to do that when I'd bump up the sound but now that I'm in my late 20's (and have gone to waaaay too many loud punk shows) I can't hear high pitched noises like that. (When I was a kid I used to be able to tell if anyone had a TV on in the house because I could hear the high pitched noise of the CRT).

I am older than you , but the sound is audible very well in a silent environment (I noticed it immediately when I got the unit) and the headphone sound also isn't imagination (I noticed this one trying mediastreamer). Since I always used the highest brightness settings I forgot somehow that the display sound was there (see, I am really older ), but the headphone sound now bothers me since I would like to use the 770 for streaming music sometimes and it would nice if I could watch videos on it without disturbing noises.
One question, still. If I wanted to claim warranty, whom shall I address? I bought my unit from online-sales@nokia.com (Belgium).

Bye, tira.

P.S. The noise the docking station of my laptop makes is almost not audible if there is some background noise, but its frequency is very high and it almost huts after a while. The frequency of the display sound is much lower, it is like a "buzzzzz".

Last edited by tirabosco; 2006-09-12 at 19:07.

my estonian model has the crack of doom but I superglued it together. That was 6 months ago.

I use mine every day and have none of these other problems...

DCarter

Originally Posted by infinitespecter
Mine says Made in Estonia, and I have had none of the issues you mentioned. They do sound an awful lot like the issues I have been having with my MacBook Pro, though.
Mine is made in Estonia too and seems to be rock solid as I mention ealier.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Mine was made in Finland and no problems here.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Estonia, no issues. You guys with the high pitched noise issue, are you young? Monitors and stuff used to do that when I'd bump up the sound but now that I'm in my late 20's (and have gone to waaaay too many loud punk shows) I can't hear high pitched noises like that. (When I was a kid I used to be able to tell if anyone had a TV on in the house because I could hear the high pitched noise of the CRT).
Jeez, now that I am in my 50's that must explain why I never realized the 770 had sound. I though the little grill was a hot air exhaust.

Yea. Seem like many German made devices have all kind of problems.

tirabosco the way to go is to contact online-sales@nokia.com. I did call them first but they asked me to send a mail. Write your order number so they can find the order.

And why didn't I get a finland made device I live just 50 km from the finnish border.....

My first one was an Estonian model, and it had the noise on lower than full brightness (this is actually quite a common problem with LCD backlights in my experience, in no way limited to the 770.) If the "crack of death" is the crack on the bottom between the ports then it also had this too. Had to send it back as the power button stopped working.

THREE MONTHS LATER (yes, three months, and after maybe 20-30 phone calls) I got a replacement, made in Germany this time and without any of these problems.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Odin: Only if you mod it

There were also articles about kids using high pitched ring tones that they could hear in class but their older teachers couldn't... and ideas to use it to keep "those kids" away from malls by blasting high pitched sound.