Notices

I ordered an awesome digital camera used that is coming with the owner's 2-gig wi-fi memory stick. After reading up, I learned the memory stick will allow me to connect to a wi-fi router on my computer network in order to share the pictures.

I won't have a computer very soon, all I will own is my N800 and the camera, etc.... so I am wondering something strange: does anyone know of any software that makes the N800 BECOME a Wi-Fi router of its own? That other devices can LOG into? If my camera cannot locate a wifi-router to log into, it won't send the pictures.

This isn't really a big deal if not because I can simply swap the SD sticks around between devices if I want to, but I'm curious because then I could just beam the pictures I actually like from the camera to my N800 without having to swap cards around like crazy every day, and then just format the card and start fresh again.

Also, alternative applications of this would be if someone were paired to a cellphone from the N800 which was running this Wi-Fi hub software, then anyone with a wi-fi device could log into the N800 and use the cellphone's connection to the internet. Imagine the potential!

Like I said, if there isn't anything like that, no worries, I'll make due, but if there was, why not use it?

Thanks for your help!

Later.

I'd like to see this as well.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
this is called SDIO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDIO

and memory stick is a sony brandname for a special kind of flash media that just about only their products use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_stick

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Er, what's SDIO got to do with this? From the N800's point of view I mean.

As for trying to set up the N800 as an access point I think I would instead simply go for bying a wi-fi router. They're quite cheap these days and there's not much that can go wrong (except that there are a few wi-fi routers out there that don't play nicely with the N8x0's wi-fi power saving mode).

Of course that wouldn't work out in the field. The question is then if the camera can do wi-fi ad-hoc mode. This would be easier to figure out if we knew which camera this is about..

The N800 cannot act as an Access Point per se (it would require it to accept "iwconfig wlan0 mode master"). However if the other card can be set to use an Ad-Hoc network, you can just set the n800 to create one and the other card will join in. (Use the new connection wizard and where it says Infrastructure, change it to "Ad Hoc").

Tags
broadcast, n800, wi-fi