Active Topics

Rookie question: Where do I find the log file? install-tools is failing to install.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Rookie question: Where do I find the log file? install-tools is failing to install.
So many threads so little time

In application manager, open menu, Tools , Log

Make sure its not already installed, and bootmenu-installer is not installed. If either is, uninstall before continuing

Make sure Virtual Memory is off

Is 810 or 800?
install-tools.deb
(installs to 810 internal slot, external slot must be empty during install.)
(Installs to 800 any slot, can only be one card in either slot)

install-tools-N810e.deb
(installs to external slot 810)
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
As penguindbait stated in the first post of this thread you should probably reboot and reinstall install-tools before booting from SD, that's because the device needs to be rebooted to read the new partition table on the SD (it was the same with fanoush "manual" initfs-flasher).

Here's what I did:
1) Booting from flash, installed install-tools.deb for the new partitions to be made
2) Rebooted from flash, reinstalled install-tools.deb to copy the system and make the SD bootable
3) Rebooted from internal SD, working like a charm

Hope it helps

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tubby17 View Post
Here's my issue: Has anyone in this situation (i.e., booting from internal mmc on an n810 with OS2008 30-2 using penguinbait's process) successfully implemented the 36-5 SSU? If so, could you tell me how you did it? For instance, did you apply the update while booted to internal mmc? Did you also apply the update while booted to internal flash? Did you have to load fanoush's new initfs_flasher? If so, when in the sequence of events?
I've done it on an N800. See my post here.
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

hi. i may be the last person left still having problems installing the install.tools. i have tried all of the suggestions onboardthis thread, such as formating the mem card, trying 3 different mem cards, making sure that i have instaled the install tools in flash and not on the memorycard, etc. every time i reboot, i go to application manager, open the install tools, run it, and it always says, found memory card, then takes about 30 more seconds and then says, memory card corrupted or unformated. i then unstall the install tools, clear the log, reformat.the mem card, and reboot and try again. i have tried this about 40 times now without sucess. i am just not clear on two things. i am not sure if i am rebooting correctly. the way i do it is simply hold down the power button and power.off, and then hold down the power button and power back on. is there another way to reboot that iam missing? also, i am trying to make sure that i do not have virtual memory installed, so i go to comtrol pannel, then memory ,then memcard,and make sure the use virtual memory is unchecked. is that the only thing i need to do there? here is my log file. please help. thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt Log (1).txt (7.4 KB, 399 views)

Oh, and just to add a few things that I left out, I am using a N800, with 0s2008 version 4.2008.36-5, and I have just one memory card in right now, a transcend 4gb card. I have tried using it in both the internal card slot and the external card slot, and I have also tried a kingston 2gb card and a sandisk 1gb card all with no success. I have fomatted all the cards using the N800's format utility and I have formatted each card with the Low level format utility on my pc. I have the install tools file installed on my n800 flash. I first put it in the documents folder, and then also tried creating a temp folder on the flash and put the install tools file there. What else am I missing ??

Originally Posted by fibroman View Post
Oh, and just to add a few things that I left out, I am using a N800, with 0s2008 version 4.2008.36-5, and I have just one memory card in right now, a transcend 4gb card. I have tried using it in both the internal card slot and the external card slot, and I have also tried a kingston 2gb card and a sandisk 1gb card all with no success. I have fomatted all the cards using the N800's format utility and I have formatted each card with the Low level format utility on my pc. I have the install tools file installed on my n800 flash. I first put it in the documents folder, and then also tried creating a temp folder on the flash and put the install tools file there. What else am I missing ??
ERROR
SD CARD IS IN USE - SAVE DEB TO FLASH AND RE-RUN
ERROR

Where are you running the deb from. It cannot be on the card you are cloning to. Put it in Documents or somewhere on flash

Is virtual memory turned on? Make sure virtual memory is turned off
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Hi. Thanks for responding. I have the deb running on the flash in the documents directory. I also think that I have had the virtual memory off, by going into the control panel, then memory then virtual memory tab, then making sure the the add virtual memory box is unchecked. Is there anything else after this that I am missing ??

Originally Posted by fibroman View Post
Hi. Thanks for responding. I have the deb running on the flash in the documents directory. I also think that I have had the virtual memory off, by going into the control panel, then memory then virtual memory tab, then making sure the the add virtual memory box is unchecked. Is there anything else after this that I am missing ??
Perhaps there is an application using it?

You could try booting up without the card in the tablet, then insert the card after booted and run the install..

I just tried removing the memory card, booting up, and then putting the mem card back in, and then running the install tools file in the application manager, and it still does not work.

I also again made sure that I did not have virtual memory running by making sure that the check box in the control pannel is unchecked.
anything else you can think of ??

Do you think that I may need to reflash the firmware or something ??

Tags
deprecated