Is there really no one like me and cybic?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think i use the device to much to tell if the battery drain is to high on standby or not...

each night its a audiobook or some last minute email checks and web surfing. combo that with a wifi router that have issues with power save and it becomes hard to tell...

Originally Posted by albright View Post
Anyone know a better way to reset networking from the
command line?
Well, I just run an "ifconfig wlan0 down" on a root shell. Better or not, simply works for me.
/b.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by salomc View Post
I have the same issue about battery drain. This morning I noticed that the process called "hildon-desktop" eats permanently about 5-15% of the processor, even with no apps running (I see this through load-applet). I have the last version of Diablo installed.

Has anyone noticed the same?
I notice this when I experience another bug that I think might be connected with this:

Sometimes my N800 will - well, "half-disconnect" from the WLAN. I don't know how else to say it: The symbol says it's still connected (and it seems to *think* it is), but I can no longer reach websites, the instant messaging application will show the connection to my Jabber-account was lost and (and I think this is it) RSS-update seem to never end. I see the "hildon-desktop"-process eating ~10%CPU in this constellation when the RSS home applet shows it's trying to update feeds.

I can recover from this state by manually disconnecting and re-connecting - if I'm there and find out. If this happens overnight, of course, I have no chance.

These semi-disconnects happen randomly... sometimes I don't see them for a long time (I actually thought they were gone after the last SSU), then they happen twice a day (as today).

does dropping the power save level on your wlan connection helps? i see this at home thanks to a cheap router that cant handle wlan power save...

Last edited by tso; 2008-10-13 at 23:12.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
tso,
mine dies even when lan is off.
both my machines were dead this morning after being left fully charged the night before with no net on either.

but they arent dead most mornings.

while i dont discount that there something going on, what benny described sounded more related to a router with faulty power save support, then some firmware issue...

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by cybic View Post
Same here! Exactlly like you told - 5-10%, jumpping up and down! Battery time is much shorter now!
Be careful with the desktop applets, some of them cause this issue (the home* are among them). Try unloading all desktop applets and restarting, most probably the problem will go away.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by tso View Post
while i dont discount that there something going on, what benny described sounded more related to a router with faulty power save support, then some firmware issue...
It would be 2 routers with faulty power save support then. I spend most weekends at another place. Same problem. (Router there is the same brand, different model though.)

Would be cool if a device could somehow detect and work around such a situation.... but then I don't know what I'm talking about here.

So your advice is to save power by turning off powersave mode. I'll try.

EDIT: the router I have at home is the thomson speedtouch 585(i); which terms do I need to know to ask Google if there are any known problems with powersaving on this model? Or if it's something that can be fixed by changing some of the settings? ...?

Last edited by benny1967; 2008-10-14 at 07:21.

heh, it wont save power by a long shot, but it will work around the issue of troublesome connections...

Tags
battery drain, diablo