Active Topics

Closed Thread
all right i got everything fixed. how do i adjust the resoloution since parts of my screen are cut off.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oops, just saw this question...

Yes, the debian-final.img.ext2 file holds all of the data for the Easy Debian project. It is like a virtual disk inside a file. When you run a Debian program, this file is mounted like a disk drive.
One other question: I want to move the image file, but once I do, I'm not sure what file I need to edit to reflect this. I remember seeing something about this during the installation, but I don't see an answer in the first post's FAQs. Thanks!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
One other question: I want to move the image file, but once I do, I'm not sure what file I need to edit to reflect this. I remember seeing something about this during the installation, but I don't see an answer in the first post's FAQs. Thanks!
If you put the image file on /media/mmc1 or /media/mmc2, Easy Debian will find it and use it. If you put it somewhere else, you will have to edit /home/user/.chroot and change the value of IMGFILE. It should be fairly obvious what to do when you look at ~/.chroot

I am trying to follow the FAQ for the virtual keyboard for N800, but when I select the "Set Debian HW Keys" nothing happens.

Any help? Thanks.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ South Carolina
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You tap-and-hold on the wallpaper, and a right-click context menu will pop up under your pointer. The last item, Desktop Settings, will let you choose new wallpaper, choose icon size, turn on thumbnails for file display, etc... There are some more settings on the system menu in the top left corner, under Preferences -> Appearance.

There are yet more settings to be found if you tap-and-hold on the left-hand panel. You can move it to other places (maybe you prefer the bottom, top or the right), change the the panel's colour, font, etc
Works great. Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by syam View Post
I am trying to follow the FAQ for the virtual keyboard for N800, but when I select the "Set Debian HW Keys" nothing happens.

Any help? Thanks.
Did you try hittin the (-) on top of the table and then the Menu button?

The Following User Says Thank You to hbail For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hbail View Post
Did you try hittin the (-) on top of the table and then the Menu button?
I missed them, I was expecting that some thing pops up when select "Set Debian HW Keys".

Thanks.

A note about Java:

I noticed that there was no java command when I first installed this by copying the compressed image into a spare partition. I needed to run "sudo update-alternatives --config java" at which point I could then choose the correct runtime and the "java" command was created.

This is REALLY nice. LXDE impresses me

Actually, another note for that one:
You can lower the font size! Go to the Appearance preferences. On the Window page (no idea why it's called that...) there is a Font button to the bottom left. Yay!

And for the uninitiated, it may interest you to know that with GTK, the various themes there affect performance since they are each powered by different theme engines.

Funny error message of the day:
"gcj-dbtool4.3 succeeded unexpectedly" :P

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-10-20 at 17:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Picklesworth For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Picklesworth: It sounds like you know your way around Java. I know very little about it and I would love to hear your impressions of the Open JDK on the tablet.

Sorry, I know nothing of Java. Just took some digging about Debian's alternatives system

I'm doing a little course on computer hardware design and have been wanting to run the hardware simulator on my tablet. Finally we have a Java WM that works at a good enough speed so I can get back to learning! (A year later...)

Now I just need a little bit more vertical screen space and I'm set. Is there a key I can hold to drag a window from anywhere in OpenBox? (For example, with Metacity in GNOME, you can hold Alt to drag a window, allowing you to drag its title bar off the screen).

Edit:
Aha! The Menu key does it, of all things. I guess that's mapped to Alt...

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-10-20 at 18:12.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice