Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yes, it will, although the bootmenu is then gone, so you'd better have some way of booting to reinstall the bootmenu.

And if you want to update both SD and flash, the best routine seems to be
  1. Boot to SD
  2. Update
  3. When it reboots, it'll come to flash (because no bootmenu)
  4. Update
  5. When it reboots, it'll come to flash again
  6. Install bootmenu.
  7. On reboot, you'll have options as expected...

However, my setup is more complicated than that, and I use Fanoush's package independently, so I'm unable to say I've done exactly that.
I did the same steps... except when i try to install bootmenu 10.0.0.3 it says unable to install bootmenu.

ANy ideas?

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I did the same steps... except when i try to install bootmenu 10.0.0.3 it says unable to install bootmenu.

ANy ideas?
i used penguinbait's bootmenu.deb- which i had to uninstll (via app manager) then reinstall to get it to work

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Okay i got it.

I uninstalled install tools and then installed boot menu.

Now i have 36-5 in both partitions.

Thank you penguinbait and fanoush.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by heelio View Post
I hate to ask, but I guess I gotta - I was able to get the bootmenu-installer onto my n800 yesterday (it was dual booting until the recent os update trashed it, suddenly, no access to the internal sd, back to booting from flash, which has issues as I will relate). I tried installing bootmenu-installer from my documents folder, but it just says unable to install. I really need it to work because I just recently discovered this n800 which I recently bought used does not have a lock code I can use (11345 doesn't work, I emailed the guy who sold it but his also fails). I have plenty of room on the internal card but the flash is down to like 10 megs free.
Is virtual memory turned on, if so turn it off

Is bootmenu-installer or install-tools installed? If so uninstall them first

How many SD cards are inserted? Only one SD card can be inserted in the 800 when installing or it will fail.

These are the usual gotcha's

you might also try removing some package if you are low on space. 10mb is pretty tight
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yes, it will, although the bootmenu is then gone, so you'd better have some way of booting to reinstall the bootmenu.

And if you want to update both SD and flash, the best routine seems to be
  1. Boot to SD
  2. Update
  3. When it reboots, it'll come to flash (because no bootmenu)
  4. Update
  5. When it reboots, it'll come to flash again
  6. Install bootmenu.
  7. On reboot, you'll have options as expected...

However, my setup is more complicated than that, and I use Fanoush's package independently, so I'm unable to say I've done exactly that.
This is what I did (using initfs_flasher directly, not bootmenu package) and it worked fine. But it does seem risky:

If the old user space can't work with new kernel and initfs, step 3 will result in non-booting system.
The safest way is to update flash first, so you have lower risk of that.

Many thanks to you guys, it was install-tools that was stopping me; I did not even have to remove my external sd card. I have now rebooted from mmc2 so I again have plenty of room (I gave ALL of a 2 gig SD card except 128 meg to the boot OS).

Now, if I could just figure out why the code the previous owner (lock code) won't work, I could reset the original flash to original state and start it over. Just damn glad your bootmenu installer in on the flash though, I was wrong about the 10 megs, it still has 15 available! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
This is what I did (using initfs_flasher directly, not bootmenu package) and it worked fine. But it does seem risky:

If the old user space can't work with new kernel and initfs, step 3 will result in non-booting system.
The safest way is to update flash first, so you have lower risk of that.
OTOH, that requires installing the boot menu (or using flasher-3.0 to set the boot device) to boot off the SD again, then SSU that way, and finally install the boot menu again.

If you update SD, and it will not boot back into flash because of some boot-stopping incompatibility (which should be quite rare), you can still use flasher-3.0 to set the default boot device as mmc, provided your SD is laid out appropriately.

Where can I find some docs for bootmenu? I'm just looking to change which menu option is the default...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Eladon View Post
Where can I find some docs for bootmenu? I'm just looking to change which menu option is the default...
boot to flash and open xterm and become root and run the following command:
chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool –set-root-device ask:flash
Instead of flash, you can also set the default boot image to be mmcX

mmc2 is partition 2 on internal
mmc3 is partition 3 on internal
mmc12 is partition 2 on external
mmc13 is partition 3 on external

This sets the default
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-10-20 at 14:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
PB (and Fanoush),

You guys have made this an ever better device. However, it seems that, after spending all my time installing apps in the SD boot partition, if I use the SSU update that will trash my SD boot. Is it as simple as reinstalling the boot menu? If I have to update flash, then clone to the SD card, won't I have to reinstall everything again? This, to me, seems like it defeats the purpose of SSU. Am I just missing something here?

Edit: 10/20/08
Ok, you can disregard this. I think, after re-reading Benson's post a couple more times, his procedure makes sense to me now. It sounds like I only have to reinstall bootmenu, not install tools. I have a backup, so even if this doesn't work, I can clone again and restore. Thanks again.

Last edited by CpuFixrMan; 2008-10-21 at 03:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to CpuFixrMan For This Useful Post: