I've been running Fanoush's 48 Mhz kernel OS2006 from a 2GB card since I first got the N770. The only problem I have is that the OS2006 browser crashes frequently. Sometimes it will just close out the browser other times it will cause a reboot.

Is the 2007HE browser less crash prone?

In addition to the browser, the main apps I use and would like to keep on 2007HE are:

FBReader
XTerminal
UKMPDark
UKTube
MPlayer

I also use the default Audio Player for Real Audio streams. Does 2007HE offer any improvement in Real Audio compatiblity?

Thanks for your advice.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mardin View Post
IThe only problem I have is that the OS2006 browser crashes frequently.
Did you install the wlan memory corruption fix too?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11824

Is the 2007HE browser less crash prone?
it is same Opera engine underneath but with OS2007 interface. If crashes are because of the engine, it won't help. If the bug is in UI code it may be fixed. To me it looks more stable. There is one specific bug - sometimes when you close one window all windows are gone - this one seems to be fixed.

I also use the default Audio Player for Real Audio streams. Does 2007HE offer any improvement in Real Audio compatiblity?
No the multimedia layer is same as in OS2006.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Also AFAIR OS2007HE didn't support real audio streaming...

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post

it is same Opera engine underneath but with OS2007 interface. If crashes are because of the engine, it won't help. If the bug is in UI code it may be fixed. To me it looks more stable. There is one specific bug - sometimes when you close one window all windows are gone - this one seems to be fixed.
No, I haven't installed that fix. I will try that and see if gives me a more stable browsing experience before considering a 2007HE upgrade.

Update: I just installed the fix. Thank you.

By the way, is there an easy way to clone my working existing OS from the 2GB memory card via USB to my PC hard drive, so I can restore my system easily if 2007HE doesn't work well for me?

Thanks again.

Last edited by mardin; 2008-10-31 at 09:27.

There is - with some partition manager that supports ext2/3. Thats in Windows... in linux you can just copy the contents somewhere like when you create mmc boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Sigh, OS2006HE with this bugfix would be very nice to have...

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
There is - with some partition manager that supports ext2/3. Thats in Windows... in linux you can just copy the contents somewhere like when you create mmc boot.
Okay, great. Thanks again.

I installed the memory corruption fix and I didn't have a single crash during any of my testing. Previously, I couldn't open more than one browser window/tab without a likely crash. I had multiple windows open this time without any problems.

This bug exists in OS2007 too, but if you use the latest image, you'll be set.

An update: after installing the memory corruption fix on OS2006, I had my first browser crash today. I had a single browser window open, then I launched XTerminal and the browser crashed/quit.

So, I suppose this fix doesn't make the browser 100% stable, although it does seem a bit less crash-prone.