Active Topics

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
This is the cheapest wired headset you can find for the N810:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7396

Even though they say Nokia on them, they're of lower quality than the original headset that comes with the N810... but for $3 shiped, you can afford to replace it.
Be VERY CAREFUL when going to Deal Extreme.

Due to their price structure I just went there today to buy one pair of low cost In-Ear Stereo Earbuds 1 pair

They were supposed to be $3.83 @.

By the time I got what I considered the minimal adequate packing materials (3 more pair In-Ear Stereo Earbuds , AMP RJ45 Network Crimp Plugs (100-pcs retail box set), a RJ45 Network Cable Crimp with Cable Cutter 2-set Toolkit, some USB adapters, etc) it came up to $46.

And don't get me started about all their cables and chargers!!
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post

Due to their price structure I just went there today to buy one pair of low cost In-Ear Stereo Earbuds 1 pair

By the time I got what I considered the minimal adequate packing materials (3 more pair In-Ear Stereo Earbuds , AMP RJ45 Network Crimp Plugs (100-pcs retail box set), a RJ45 Network Cable Crimp with Cable Cutter 2-set Toolkit, some USB adapters, etc) it came up to $46.

Don't forget the free shipping! (which of course, tempts you to buy more)

Thanks Fragos!

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post

I ordered the headset off Amazon, along with a gender bender, and a micro-to-usb plug (yes, I realize I technically don't need both....) and spent a total of $20, including shipping from three different sellers on Amazon.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
I don't think anybody has mentioned the EASIEST SOLUTION:

You can use a standard set of stereo earphones, plus the built-in microphone.
Thats almost as good as a full headset.

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
From what I can see, Nokia has standardized on 3.5mm.
Apparently they don't. I just returned from a trip to my packages, and it is the wrong size.

Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
I just picked up a VoiceStar VS700 BT headset.
It's at Radio Shack on clearance starting today for $9.97.
(I'm an associate so after my employee discount is was 6 bucks and change last night.)

As expected, it's not super duper clear, but it paired effortlessly, worked fine with Skype right away, and even passes the rest of the devices audio through.
While it sounded really bad I was able to listen to some internet radio through the thing.

Impressive!

I imagine a "good" headset or one that does stereo would be a GREAT match-up!
Hello. I just received the VS700 as well and I am trying to pair it to my PS3. However, I have no instructions on how to put the headset into pairing mode so the PS3 can find it. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks!

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I've been thinking of getting a motorola S705, as it can pair with multiple devices, does A2DP/stereo and has built-in FM radio.

Means I can leave it connected to my mobile phone and the tablet and listen to music at the same time. I haven't found anything else as versatile!

They regularly come up cheap on ebay as it's getting to be an older model, retail price seems to be about GB£33.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by myk View Post
I don't think anybody has mentioned the EASIEST SOLUTION:

You can use a standard set of stereo earphones, plus the built-in microphone.
Thats almost as good as a full headset.
Anna, this fellow is correct. You may use ordinary, wired headphones, and the Nokia's internal microphone if you wish. I do this sometimes with Skype and Gizmo on the N800. It should work the same on the N810.

I have used a Motorola BT headset (HS850) with success with my N800. Sound quality is acceptable but that is subjective.

Using your N810 with Skype shouldn't be frustrating or a substandard experience. People I speak to using my Nokia N800 and Skype say I sound fantastic when I call them. Voice quality exceeding that of a cellphone call. BE sure your Internet connection isn't being pushed to where there might be a bandwidth bottleneck (shut off any bittorrent apps, don't stream TV at the same time). Don't expect things to sound good if you are outdoors and there is any amount of a breeze or wind, or background noise. My HS850 is horrible if there is a breeze. Don't have your N810 running other applications. Just run Skype when using BlueTooth and Skype because the CPU is near max'd out with all the wireless that it's being asked to process ( WiFi and BT ). Don't run the microwave oven when involved in a Skype call on the N8x0. It can interfere with anything around 2.4ghz (which both WiFi and BT use).

Hope this helps.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
I just got a Plantronics Voyager 855 which is a nice headset that can be a normal mono earpiece but has a second earphone you can plug into it to make it stereo. It supports A2DP and is really small and light. It works great with my phone and my N810.

It cannot, however, be actively connected to both at the same time. If both it and BT on either my phone or N810 are on and it isn't actively connected, pushing its button connects it. If the headset and both other devices are on, doing that will only ever connect it to whichever one it connected to last.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible to get around that; it sacrifices the Voyager 815's (which looks just like it) ability to connect to two for A2DP.

Still, I use VOIP and my phone very differently, and really have no need to be able to interchange between the two rapidly.