Active Topics

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
A quick question to understand the basic of ordering XOHM service ...

Is the order tied to a particular device always ? I mean if I order to-go service, cant I log in at home with my laptop (with the Wimax card or the Wimax USB), as well as log in from the N810 WE also at the same time ?

I am thinking I will take XOHM as my internnet connection - and use it at home (with a laptop) or away (with a N810 or a laptop again). Is this possible ?

Also is the Wimax USB workable on a normal N810 (or N800) in any way ?
The service you pick up is tied to the device, not to where you use it. USB modems and Express cards are considered "On-The-Go" as well as the Nokia N810, were as the ZyXEL Modem is an "At-Home" device.

To be able to receive the Pick 2 you must have Two Different Devices such as:

a.) 1 Modem 1 Express
b.) 1 Modem 1 USB
c.) 1 Modem 1 Nokia
d.) 1 Express 1 Nokia
e.) 1 USB 1 Nokia

You cannot have one Express and one USB as these fall under the "Data Card" category and would NOT be two different devices.

Above you said you would like to use the laptop at home and the nokia on the go. This would qualify as a pick 2 service. From my understand a majority of the offers XOHM has going on will no longer be available by the end of this year.

As for the Nokia using a WiMAX USB, I have heard nothing about this.

Hope that helped!

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by Andyschism View Post
What are the services that are running the 3.2 and 3.5 ghz range? Have you done a test run on their service?
3.5 GHz:
Slovakia
Netherlands (Amsterdam)

2.5 GHz
Russia (and 2.7 GHz)

And others and I haven't tested them. Though I wish I had, for the travel aspect!

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. The others (in the USA) that I have seen are usually FAA or Military areas that are outside of the 2.5ghz range.

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of the ranges that are being selected?

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
My experience so far in Irving, TX. (Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex)

Received my XOHM USB modem yesterday... Tried yesterday and didn't have luck to see XOHM network.

Tried today, and did get signal! Did get to the XOHM portal and ordered the $5 one day promo (Yes, it is now only $5/day!). I did experience several boots out of the network during my account creation. (Reconnects were quick, though.)

After this brief success, I'm not able to activate/use my service. It just keeps trying to connect but never seem to be able to... It has been doing that the last 40 minutes now...

In my account page it shows that my one day service is "Active". Anyone with experience, does this mean that my one day plan is now activated and in use, or does it mean that it is just "odreded and paid"?

I do not have any idea of actual speeds yet, but I'm not holding my breath. Browsing the XOHM protal didn't feel that snappy... Speed reports that I have seen from DFW haven't been that great.

EDIT: Couple hours later the network is down... not able to see the XOHM. Looks like I just wasted $5...

EDIT2: After almost the whole day the situation is the same: The network disappears completely once in a while. The times it is available I can not connect to it. It seem that they have disabled the ability to log in their network in my area. I'll try later tonight one more time but I don't think it works any better.
I had that issue in McLean. I bought a day pass, and it didn't work. But then the next day before the 24 hours were up, I turned on my tablet and whammo!! I was on Xohm. Then I bought more time and was able to use it without problems, and the signal here has never gone away. And now the tablet reconnects to xohm whenever there is xohm signal.

Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
I had that issue in McLean. I bought a day pass, and it didn't work. But then the next day before the 24 hours were up, I turned on my tablet and whammo!! I was on Xohm. Then I bought more time and was able to use it without problems, and the signal here has never gone away. And now the tablet reconnects to xohm whenever there is xohm signal.

Could you guys detail your registration process and where you were using or trying to obtain the XOHM service?

(1) Make sure you're connected to XOHM.
(2) Visit any webpage, and you will be taken to an activation page.
(3) Login or create an account if you don't have an account.
(4) Enter credit card and pick service type (daily, monthly).
(5) Done.
(6) Now you can surf the web!

As for the where part of your question, I'd (we'd) need a map of sorts upon which to place our dots.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Connected right now and typing this to you on my Nokia N810 WiMax Edition. Right this second, I have a solid XOHM signal to Reston, VA, with 4.42Mbps sustained downloads according to speakeasy.net/speedtest.

At these speeds, XOHM is providing some surprising competition to my Verizon FiOS connection. The question for me, becomes, whether XOHM can continue to sustain 4.4-10Mbps connections once their network becomes official in the Washington, DC, area.

I'm inclined to think they can, since friends at Eastern Market (DC) and Baltimore (MD) are both confirming my results. Baltimore became official a few months ago.
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Originally Posted by promethh View Post
Connected right now and typing this to you on my Nokia N810 WiMax Edition. Right this second, I have a solid XOHM signal to Reston, VA, with 4.42Mbps sustained downloads according to speakeasy.net/speedtest.

At these speeds, XOHM is providing some surprising competition to my Verizon FiOS connection. The question for me, becomes, whether XOHM can continue to sustain 4.4-10Mbps connections once their network becomes official in the Washington, DC, area.

I'm inclined to think they can, since friends at Eastern Market (DC) and Baltimore (MD) are both confirming my results. Baltimore became official a few months ago.

Those are awesome speeds, really opens up the potential for alot of new applications and ways to use the nokia! If only I was covered like baltimore I could get rid of my XM radio and just use the internet stations!

I sometimes listen to Last.FM in the car when in Baltimore! Badass, no?

Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
I sometimes listen to Last.FM in the car when in Baltimore! Badass, no?
Yes, badass.... unfortunately for me i live in Portland, OR. Called XOHM yesterday asking for any possible beta testing, etc. they told me there's nothing expected to launch in my area till LATE 2009!!!! i might just trade my n810W for a regular one and get an evdo usb modem or something

Tags
n810 wimax, virginia, wimax, xohm