Is there anyway to extend the wifi range on the n800? I don't even know if such a thing exists. I don't mean to extend the range my wireless router sends out, I want to extend the range my n800 can pick up. Let me know if it's possible, and if so, a kind push in the right direction would be much appreciated. thanks

Make a parabolic reflector out of aluminum foil. Aim it at the router and place the N800 at the parabola's focus.

The Following User Says Thank You to ace For This Useful Post:
So much for a "kind push".

I thought I had read somewhere here that you can set the power output of the WiFi chip in the connections settings, but I can't remember and don't have my NIT with me.

I looked around in the connection settings in the control panel but didn't find anything that would allow me to turn up the power output

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by caulktel View Post
I thought I had read somewhere here that you can set the power output of the WiFi chip
The setting is in the "Other" tab of the Advanced Settings in Connection Setup. The setting is called "WLAN transmission power", but it only allows you to reduce the power from 100mW to 10mW to save battery power if you have a good signal.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
By default the power TRANSMISSION is set to 100mW but can be dropped down to 10mW to conserve power. I personally drop mine down to 10mW since I am really not too far from my router and it really saves on the power usage.

You can find it here:
Control Panel -> Connectivity -> Connections -> (edit any existing connection) -> Next -> Next -> Advanced -> Other -> WLAN Tranmission Power

But, you were asking about reception rather than transmission. Both are still important since you have to have enough transmission to send handshaking/data back and forth.

I personally have done the parabolic idea with success. The only problem is trying to hold a metal bowl while working with your NIT. Plus, it looks goofy and suspicious.

Ooops: Eiffel beat me by three minutes. Sorry for the double answer then.

Last edited by Munk; 2008-11-22 at 23:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
The setting is in the "Other" tab of the Advanced Settings in Connection Setup. The setting is called "WLAN transmission power", but it only allows you to reduce the power from 100mW to 10mW to save battery power if you have a good signal.

Regards,
Roger

Or you could try this >> http://j-walk.com/other/wifispray/

It might help, IDK for sure.

so changing from 100mw to 10mw, is the opposite of what I'm asking correct? I'm looking to extend the range so i can pull signals in. With greater signals

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by budsang1 View Post
so changing from 100mw to 10mw, is the opposite of what I'm asking correct? I'm looking to extend the range so i can pull signals in. With greater signals

It's not going to happen internally with the hardware and there is no external antenna port. The only way is via some sort of external "helper". All of which seem pretty dubious to me.

Ok, I found a couple things searching and want to run it by you guys before wasting any money.
First, on this page http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...nnect-usb.html
It explains how to connect a usb flash drive to the n800. I also found this device called wifire
http://www.hfield.com/the-wi-fire/
I am wondering if something like this would work. I am curious if once i got everything setup, how i would go about getting the n800 to use it.