Active Topics

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I have to agree with dlhuss. That wiki page is not very good.

Its not too big to use as a phone (ahem, every other smart phone).

It is expensive, but that is not a problem to most people who are looking at this type of device. Its reasonable. (Look at Archos 5 and iPod, NOT PHONES).

The other "reasons" are just stupid, so good job wiki page in killing them.

But one reason is forgotten:

(compared to everything else)

No one has one, they are niche, not much development, etc...
Yes, people will still use them, but it will be dead.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by slingster View Post
I consider myself a fairly tech savvy and typical gadget consumer. I think the only way for the tablet to survive in mainstream is for the price to come down to around $150. At the current price, I would rather spend it on the Ipod Touch (with some change left) or a netbook. If I want something in my pocket I get the Touch (cheaper, easy to use, slimmer, useful, etc.). If I want something more productive I get a netbook (XP, power aps, etc.). The tablet is NOT both...it's neither. I'm not even going to bring up the Iphone or G1. The tablet may have certain features that the others may not have but do you really use them often enough to justify their existence?

OK Nostradamus, got any other visions of the future?? I am sure your preditiction abilities if real could be used for something more meaningful. I predict I will buy an n900, and its replacement, just as I have bought a 770, 800 and an 810.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
the n810 is my 1st entry in the tablet world:

some days it's just a media player that plays my mp4 movies or rap/jazz/ambient music on subway rides to work..

other tymes it's a full web browser in my pocket to show websites in all their glory, to friends when out on the street, when booting a laptop is overkill for a few minutes.

it saved me a rack of money recently on a carnival miracle cruise in sept; wen out @ sea carnival pimped the cell connections it provided & some ppl bit hard, talking so leisurely, only to go back home to be greeted with $300+ phone bills the month later (looking @ the 2 iphone users on ATT & one verizon user that went with us)..
i, with my paranoid self wouldn't trust the whole setup, my fiance' needed to pay for 'net connection on the ship anyways (she's taking her master's online) & couldn't miss a beat... well, we both were expecting a large sum of moneys thru the mail & had no way to use it to fnance the rest of our trip for trivial things, we had a good friend house sit the apt, to care for the cat & empty the mailbox, & trash, & drink the milk... we needed him to deposit the checks into our bank accounts, but not before showing him how we endorsed our john hancocks, hmm, how to do it.... BINGO, i pulled up the sketch app & signed my sig, & she did likewise, then we emailed the two to him, he forgedAHEM, he *endorsed* our checks with our sigs, then deposited the moneys into our accounts...

we communicated thru the 'net connection we already had, we disconnected her laptop, then signed back on thru the NIT, gizmo5 crashed me, but the default internet call client handle things superbly (scratches head- it's ussually the other way around) lol..

then on the island excursions a wifi sig here, or there, kept me connected to home, especially in tortola, no US roaming there since it's britsh turf...

these days (even just last friday) i'm getting alot of WOOO'Z & AAAAH'Z from ppl that eyeball me from the seat behind on subway rides, taps on the shoulder are accompanied by "is that a phone?" or "who sells that?" or "what is that?"..

"will falter"?

naaw, "will just get discovered" is more like it.. the NIT's elusiveness just makes me giddy inside..

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Originally Posted by dlhuss View Post
And I'll take the opportunity to ignore it. (Actually, I already read it) The arguments don't do it for me - sounds like a lot of fanboy geek-speak.

iPhone FTW. I'm outta here.
If anybody "switches" to an iPhone / iPod, it means you picked the wrong gadget the first time (and probably you will pick wrong again, cause if someone needs a music player, and a phone, why not buy a cheap MP3 player and a cheap cell?)

Anyway, same story over and over. It depends what you need what you should get.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yegaoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Just one thing (maybe we should add this to the Wiki)

Another reason to say that maybe, just maybe, tablets are just starting to rise and not falling...

http://linuxuk.org/ubuntu_on_maemo

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Moar threds like this weiner plz kthnxbai.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
My Palm PDA is my ancillary brain, my N800 is my connection to the world.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
I for one love that the N810 is a tablet and NOT a phone. I use the internet more than babbling to someone via a phone number. Plus with XOHM, the internet connection is in many places (yes I know not all places and not for everyone everywhere). Love live tablets and mobile internet, down with phones.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by tso View Post
nookia have two options when it comes to price.

1. up the hardware but keep the price the same.

2. keep the hardware the same but drop the price.

they will most likely select 1...
What we did say is that Maemo 5 will support OMAP3 processors, HSPA cellular modem and high definition camera. So, we make the software ready to support other, more powerful hardware than we can currently support with Maemo 4.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
My Palm PDA is my ancillary brain, my N800 is my connection to the world.
Likewise, except for me it is my Zaurus.

My disappointment is that after 18 months with the N800 I still have constant use for the Zaurus. My initial expectation was that the NIT would attract the same level of software developer interest that the Zaurus and Palm PDA did and I could eventually rely on just the one device. It seems silly that I still have to carry both with me at all times.

While I am always interested in hardware progression, there is no way that I will buy any future N900 or MID until there is a solid software infrastructure with application versatility attracting significant developer activity.

I guess that, probably like you with the Palm PDA, I have been spoiled by the Zaurus experience and my expectations are high - seemingly unrealistic, so far at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post: