Notices

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by detlef
I think it is the vino bug mentioned on the vnc page (www.physik.de/770).
Detlef
Thx, I wasn't aware of it! RTFM first... it was!

I decided to use vncviewer 0.4 and it works, or at least try to. Infact I use a dual head display, and the desktop is seen as a big whole display, but when I move the cursor the same is placed and moved on the wrong screen! Probably some coordinates misunderstanding between server and client.
In any case, at least it works!

Again, thx

Last edited by jurop88; 2006-10-24 at 20:57. Reason: syntax edit

I would expect this to be a bug in vino. The vncviewer code is quite simple in this area. Did you try another vncviewer. In case you did, think of a bug report to vino.

(Sorry, I can not test, as I do not have dual head)

Detlef

Originally Posted by jurop88
Thx, I wasn't aware of it! RTFM first... it was!

I decided to use vncviewer 0.4 and it works, or at least try to. Infact I use a dual head display, and the desktop is seen as a big whole display, but when I move the cursor the same is placed and moved on the wrong screen! Probably some coordinates misunderstanding between server and client.
In any case, at least it works!

Again, thx

Originally Posted by detlef
I have a setup with xinetd and vnc4server which only gives 800x480 resolution for the remote connection on debian/testing.

I will write a howto. Most of the HOWTO

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/.../t-197964.html

works on debion, only the font

Detlef
I'm using WindowsXP, so I can't apply this ;-(

If just some one knew how to compile RealVNC to Nokia770, the scaling would be easy: http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc...er/053395.html

- Halla

I got around worrying about VNC scaling, by viewing my home pc (with a dyndns IP), and then setting up remote connections to whatever PC's I want, even clients that I do IT work for. It's quite fast, and even 50% scaling will get you almost full screen on the nokia, when the client is 1280x720... it's a little bit skinnier than the screen space you see on the nokia 770.

At 50%, it's almost READABLE. In fact, it is readable, it's just tiresome, and a few letters don't come through properly. I think cleartype on the remote-remote PC has something to do with it. All the horsepower for scaling, is done on your home pc, so it's quick, and you only have to have ONE connection saved on your 770.

This scaling hack doesn't work for VNC to remote-remote desktop from the home PC, as you cannot scale the first connection, and definitely not the RD connection inside. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

8bit encoding is the quickest for your home PC, and leaving full color on remote-remote PC looks fine. This screen on the nokia is f'in amazing. Stupid PPC 320x240 garbage lol!

TOO slow over GPRS, EDGE class 4 (all I can try with), is a little better, but I'm sure REAL EDGE would be ok, and EVDO even better. Wifi is very quick.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I upgraded to version 4.1 and now I can't connect to my Ubuntu machine using vino. VNC viewer allows me to input the password, but it gives me a pop-up saying "Connection to server lost". I can connect to my Windows machine fine, so it may be some small change that is causing it to fail on the Linux machine. I'm going to roll back to version 4.0 for the time being.

Thanks again detlef.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Yes, it is a bug in vino (as mentiond on vnc homepage http://www.physik.de/770)
This bug is now fixed in debian unstable:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/v/vino...0T114839Z.html

It will take some days, until a deb is build. A fixed version of vino for debian 386 architecture is on the vnc homepage.

Detlef

Originally Posted by =DC=
I upgraded to version 4.1 and now I can't connect to my Ubuntu machine using vino. VNC viewer allows me to input the password, but it gives me a pop-up saying "Connection to server lost". I can connect to my Windows machine fine, so it may be some small change that is causing it to fail on the Linux machine. I'm going to roll back to version 4.0 for the time being.

Thanks again detlef.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Thanks detlef. I don't know why I didn't notice that before.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

I have the latest version of VNC Viewer working like a charm. I have, however, run into two text input-related bugs:

- I cannot type any caps via the onscreen keyboard - they are always rendered in lowercase;
- Selecting "Paste" from the keyboard input options does not work.

I know that neither of these is a problem with my VNC server (OSXvnc), since other VNC viewers do not run into either of these issues.

Have any of you run into these problems, and if so, have you found any fixes?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

I can not reproduce your CAPS problem. I can input caps using the shift from the keyboard. The option shift from the toolbar does not work. I think this is only needed for using shift mouse click. (I tried it on only on fixed vino server)

Paste does not work. I will keep it in mind.

Detlef

Originally Posted by Dr. Faustroll
I have the latest version of VNC Viewer working like a charm. I have, however, run into two text input-related bugs:

- I cannot type any caps via the onscreen keyboard - they are always rendered in lowercase;
- Selecting "Paste" from the keyboard input options does not work.

I know that neither of these is a problem with my VNC server (OSXvnc), since other VNC viewers do not run into either of these issues.

Have any of you run into these problems, and if so, have you found any fixes?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Detlef,

Thanks for looking into this. I'll experiment some more with the caps issue, and see if I can figure out what's triggering it in my setup.