Posts: 91 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Pacific NW
I am going to take my Nokia800 on a trip for the first time along with my camera that shoots RAW images. I have read somewhere that the N800 can't read RAW images.

I haven't tried it but would like to know if anybody has tried it before.
My camera has the ability to shoot simultaneously JPG and RAW.

So do you think that I'll be able to view the JPG images, or it will be blocked like the RAW images

You can install Debian which it will have GIMP, then just install the URaw pluggin to view RAW files. I have not done this so I cannot confirm but it is worth the try. Let us know if you can...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I don't see no reason why it should be blocked by RAW. JPG and RAW will be different files on the memory card.
RAW format unfortunately differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Originally Posted by searcher View Post
So do you think that I'll be able to view the JPG images, or it will be blocked like the RAW images
Yes you can view JPEG files without having to install anything, however you might want to check out Quiver for a good photo viewer.

RAW can't be viewed from a regular PC it all depends. I will give it a try, but can you tell me what in the world is GIMP

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
...what in the world is GIMP
http://www.gimp.org/

Open source competition for Photoshop.

-T.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The problem with Gimp is that, like Photoshop, it is a full photo editing program. If all you want to do is view photos, it is way overkill.

Debian has some other programs for converting RAW to formats that can be viewed by picture viewers, such as dcraw, ufraw, and rawstudio.

The best thing to do is to search the Debian repositories; Pretty much anything you can find in Debian, you can run on the tablet via Easy Debian.

If you need to download photos from the camera to the tablet, and it doesn't automatically mount the camera like a USB drive, then you will need gphoto2, and that can be tricky to use on the tablet; it is known for crashing the tablet unless used exactly correctly (look near the end of that thread for some tips on using it without crashing the tablet).

Actually the only thing that I'm interested is to view the RAW images and then pull the card out and put it away until I get home and upload to my computer, or if I do find a place while traveling I could transfer to a blank CD

I have no intention to do editing etc using the Nokia800

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
You should be able to do this just fine. Files are files and you can copy them easily within the IT framework.

-T.

I am not sure about that in the Dig photo world RAW images are not easy to be viewed using a standard viewer, like someone said each mfg has its own codes.

Again, my only interest it to view the images, and not to do any type of editing the files are too big, it would take to much time. I'd rather do that when I get home.

Tags
jpg, raw