Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
/me gives up dream of arbitrary rotationable fonts for tonight.

such a shame.. wouldv been nice to have the UI swing around as keyboard opens and closes

last one for the night:

the algo works well enough, i'll drop it into the core properly.

hey lcuk, i want to take tyme to thank you for a wonderful & useful app!

what i'm about to type may seem lofty for liqbase, but to me, it holds THAT much potential! check it

remember this?

*Linux Kernel Booting On the iPhone*
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/08/11/29/0344221.shtml

ok that's lower level covered

now, you DO remember this on your site

*things for the future*
http://liqbase.net/liqbasefuture.html

well, things just got to clicking in me in another web forum, & i typed this:

"know what? i HAD to log back in to post this, just imagine aftr reading this on liqbase's *things for the future* link - http://liqbase.net/liqbasefuture.html

with more development work, liqbase could possibly serve as the desktop for this project! all it would need is a window manager underneath it, matchbox maybe, & a rewrite from scratch on key bindings,

(lol he'd have to rip them all out & start from scratch since the iphone doesn't have a keyboard),

but even on the n810 it doesn't use the keyboard ither, just the control keys, so, it's more doable than i think.. not entirely a rewrite from scratch, just some shuffling.. just **iconify liqbase**, & bring up the middle utilities from busybox to support the fundamental stuff - wifi, touch screen support, mounting on the desktop as a drive, whole bluetooth profiles etc..

the lower level stuff is already there, wel, the basis anyways, it's what birthed this topic, all it needs it ALOT of attn & elbow grease.. throw in a debian package manager, & more testing / refining.. it's doable

think about it.... somebody has to get these two together.... who wanna play bill gates on this thing? LOL.."-

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15

the only thing that's missing in this recipe, is tyme, $funding$, & more hands.... & some spare ipohnes to hack on lol...

but, it's just a thought, that have a possiblity...

anyways, once again thank you for liqbase!

Originally Posted by j'vai View Post
hey lcuk, i want to take tyme to thank you for a wonderful & useful app!

what i'm about to type may seem lofty for liqbase, but to me, it holds THAT much potential! check it
nothing is lofty, i agree, theres a lot of potential.

yes, I read slashdot often and saw the linux on iphone article
you ramble a bit here ( ), ill try and pick out the bits..

with more development work, liqbase could possibly serve as the desktop for this project! all it would need is a window manager underneath it, matchbox maybe, & a rewrite from scratch on key bindings,
liqbase is getting more development work, its been in my head now for years.
it sits ontop of x11 using xv. it never used a keyboard for a longtime, I loathed having to insert a vkb because I wanted to keep the system free of old style paradigms.
However I know they are needed for certain tasks.

but even on the n810 it doesn't use the keyboard ither, just the control keys, so, it's more doable than i think.. not entirely a rewrite from scratch, just some shuffling.. just **iconify liqbase**, & bring up the middle utilities from busybox to support the fundamental stuff - wifi, touch screen support, mounting on the desktop as a drive, whole bluetooth profiles etc..
liqbase is in pieces on my garage floor right now, undergoing extensive refactoring to account for all the elements I've tried to do over the last few months.
I know what works and what doesn't, and I know what was easy to do and what was a brainf*ck. hopefully something even simpler and better will result.

the lower level stuff is already there, wel, the basis anyways, it's what birthed this topic, all it needs it ALOT of attn & elbow grease.. throw in a debian package manager, & more testing / refining.. it's doable
agreed.

think about it.... somebody has to get these two together.... who wanna play bill gates on this thing? LOL.."-
bill gates never gave his code away.
I don't envy his success but he is not my idol.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15
the only thing that's missing in this recipe, is tyme, $funding$, & more hands.... & some spare ipohnes to hack on lol...
of course anything is possible, but I don't think it has much mileage.

Why bother to hack when I will have a documented open specification(almost) powerful linux platform to build from?

there other major flaw in all this:

i don't like the iphone.
i stopped finger painting when i was young and don't intend to go back to it.

I think the new Nokia device running Maemo 5 will be pretty and shiny enough to work really well (especially with the power omap3 adds) and I will be concentrating my efforts towards this.

Last edited by lcuk; 2008-12-04 at 13:33.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
lcuk:

What you've done here is very nice indeed. I was going to post earlier to thank you, but I figured I'd make a bit more use of the app first, so I could be slightly more constructive.

With some minor GUI tweaks, this would easily be my only choice for note-taking, I'm sure similar things have been pointed out before. It really is a great start. Some hildonization, a bit of cleaning up [making things more logical and easier to read], having a testing branch vs a stable branch... I'm sure you've been over this all in your head before. I realize it's a personal project [been there myself] but this has a whole lot of potential in my eyes. I'd like to thank you for what you've done so far at the very least.

I do, however, have something [possibly] new:

In the past I've found a significant limitation of this sort of app is getting data to and from it. I've always liked the idea of mobile to-do lists, memos and images; but they've never been a compelling advantage just simply because I may not be using any one particular device when I take note.

What I envision, I suppose, is a distributed server system, with a master server located "somewhere" and a synchronized image located locally. You could commit any sort of data to the repository and be able to sync down locally when connected to the network. Any changes to the nxx-local-server would propagate upwards to the master when given an opportunity.

In true internet fasion, I'll use an unrelated yet similar example: For years I "sort of" used bookmarks, but they were a hassle. I had different bookmarks at work than at home, and often I'd find myself wishing I had a copy of the other with me. Then I stumbled upon foxmarks which syncs your bookmarks between firefox installations and it made my life a thousand fold easier when it came to bookmark management.

While this isn't yet taken to it's fullest, it certainly stands as an excellent advantage over paper, which I think is what you're attempting to achieve. If you're out shopping for groceries, not only can you reorganize your list: add to it, move items around, remove items, modify items, etc: but given an internet connection you could also receive updates from others for instance.

There's obviously lots of different options when the infrastructure is in place, but perhaps it could be something to consider in the future.

Just a thought... perhaps it has merit, perhaps not. Sorry about the slightly erratic nature of this post though.

[ Let me know if you want to play with any theories.... I'm a bit out of touch with mainstream devel work, but I might be able to help when it comes to database related mechanisms. ]

azemute,

thank you for your points, i'll review in greater detail later, but it is certainly in line with my current thinking.

One of my biggest frustrations with the system right now is picking up the wrong device and having notes on one device not available on the other.

I have demolished liqbase totally (fear not, its for the greater good) and when the rebuild is complete I should be ready with a lot more production ready features and easy methods for expansion.

The stable vs trunk thing is a very nice idea and should really come out once I hit my stride. I need to maintain the fixed stable version whilst putting all my test functions in one place until they are ready. this is in part related to the rebuild thats underway.
All of liqbase as it stands is my first attempt at making a system work as I expect it to and I've learnt a lot from it (its my first ever real c project and first time I've touched any kind of C in almost 10 years!). I know a lot of great things work but the underlying code shows the incredible growth its gone through to get there and tbh I am ashamed of it.

It will emerge stronger and more flexible than ever

thank you for your comments.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Gary, again, thanks so much for this great application!

I was wondering, though... Could you just rip out the "Map" part and use it as an image viewer? Nothing fancy, just doing what it already does, but by itself and able to go through a directory. (I replaced the map image with photos of mine, so COOL )

liqimage would be fast, efficient, and... and just plain schweet. The image viewers that are there now (the osso one and Quiver) are slow and just boring and take far to much time to render and zoom on images, especially big ones. But liqimage, otoh, with its blazingly fast rendering, zooming, panning, and awesomeness, would be great for practical and show-off use.

Hell, it would be nice if you could just use liqbase to browse photos and open that as the default from the file manager.

Please think about it, it would be very much appreciated!

/cough/ Can't wait for all those cool features for liqbase you've been talking aboot'...

/me raises eyebrow/ Update soon?

aisu,

i am refactoring stuff to allow just the sort of thing you mention - others have requested allowing image viewing as a stand alone app and its in line with what I'm planning.
I have rebuilt the core classes for media handling (which now add reference counting and a more standard streamlined api), I have also spent time ensuring I can load and display fonts in any color at any scale, which was extremely important to move away from black backgrounds with white text.

I am just wrestling with my widgets, I could not use the existing widget class to build anything more of what I wanted without getting everything into a big tangle.

This has been a bit slower than I thought when I started it, but is progressing nicely and once its in place I will be putting everything (and more!) back together in a much nicer reusable manner

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
one more thing,

i'm going to be perfecting pan/zoom in the coming days and weeks.
I have my source data, I aim to be able to move and explore this as smoothly as possible:

Obviously its nothing that hasn't been done before, I just need something large enough that I can feel whether its right or not.

Knowing how much processing can be done per pixel is important for lots of rendering and think we need something pretty to wander around

Currently however this is very unoptimized and calculates the whole screen in one go and uses expensive floating point and slow graphics operations - it takes 5seconds per frame.

i hate to reply to myself, but I ****ing did it!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
i hate to reply to myself, but I ****ing did it!
Way to go, dude! Stick with it, lcuk!! I knew you could do it!!! We all knew you could do it!!!! You did it!!!!!

(I figure it gets lonely without feedback and support. I'm trying my best.)