Poll: Will I manage to fullfil my project?
Poll Options
Will I manage to fullfil my project?

Hello guys, I am new to the commmunity and I need tremendous help. I am working on a project and I want to install apache, mysql and sql-ledger on Nokia N810. I would prefer directly to maemo (if it is possible), but even in debian image It's ok (if works of course)

Definitely I need them....(at least, apache,php,mysql)

(alternatively I thought android , but I don't know enough for it yet, whatever the case I need apache, php,mysql as soon as possible and as fully functionable as possible!!!!)
Any advice acceptable and MANY thanx in advance

(If you help me, consider that your participate in a huge european project on electronic health record, so be proud about it)

thanx again and waiting your responses.....

Running it in a Debian chroot is your best bet.

I thought so.... but the problem is that when I choose to load the image the whole systems gets lag..... Isn't there anyway to load ONLY debian when I switch on the device?( a kind of dual boot for example or an grub-like program in order to install only debian....)

instead of using apache you might have better luck installing nginx and and php5 together (theres an install file lying around somewhere i installed it on my n800 twice but i don't remember where) search around i guess. dunno about mysql though, but if i remember correctly people talked about using sqllite

edit: you can get nginx and php5 here

Last edited by bigr3dd0g; 2008-12-17 at 00:50.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by T3rmInAt0r View Post
but the problem is that when I choose to load the image the whole systems gets lag...
This is not because of Easy Debian; the chroot has very little overhead, and should not cause lag on your system. It is probably because the Apache and MySQL servers are not designed to run on slow little processors like the tablet's ARM chip.

You have two choices. Either live with the lag of a "real" LAMP stack on the tablet, or substitute lightweight alternatives. If you are willing to work with lightweight alternatives, you can try out the nginx solution or check out the package in this post, it contains PHP and Lighttpd. You then install SQLite and you're good to go.

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
I noticed that there had been requests for gzip support, and somebody mentioned SQLite, so I've included both those modules which in turn required a few other bits which makes PHP grow in filesize. Anyways, details:
This package contains:
- PHP 5.2.5 CGI
- Built in support for: SimpleXML, sessions, PDO, SQLite
- Modules included for: FTP, pcntl (Process control), Sockets, XML, zlib (gzip, etc)

- Lighttpd (latest version, the number escapes me at the moment)
- Modules for: Authentication, Aliases, CGI

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-17 at 01:06.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
KISS method is good here. You want the LEAST features to make what you want work. See exactly what features you want, and tell you. Apache is usually overkill for most tasks, mostly tablet tasks, but people want it because that is what runs on their desktops.

Just to help:

Apache - http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/apache/
MySQL - http://maemo.org/downloads/product/O...mysqldatabase/

That took like 5 seconds on Google....

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Won't run any faster than in Easy Debian...

Actually I need apache, mysql and sql-ledger working on this device together. So I thought to install any light-weight linux distro such as puppy BUT i don't if it is possible to change or add any boot menu (and afterwards how may I install the distro)