Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
xvila : we updated the youtube plugin to solve that url problem (youtube actually updated) so it should be working for everyone.

Heron :
We always advice people to backup before installing / uninstalling but it was not supposed to be like that :/ Your data (database) should be protected at least if you do the backup.

But as we had a major problem with beta10, we will make sure to make this even harder to happen. I think this is mistake we should really be ashamed of.

Thanks for the feedback on that topic we will for sure improve (actually as the first team is back on control) we will make it quite fast!

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Lancaster, CA
I have a Nokia n800 and Canola2. I installed the you tube plugin and it worked for a while but now the youtube plugin doesn't apear in the videos menu anymore. I tried uninstalling canola and the you toube plug in again but I still don't see the youtube option in the videos menu anymore. Any ideas?

Hello,
I just want to say that I really like the idea of Canola, and all that it is designed to do. As much as I love this program, I am experiencing some problems which cause me to not be able to use it for what I need.
I tried to scroll through the forums to see if anyone had the same issue, but didnt find anything. I apologize if this has already been talked about.
I use an N800 with Diablo

Two issues that affect my usage:
1. It seems that Canola will not play podcasts that contain % signs in the name of the file. What I end up doing to get around this is I download my favorite podcasts with canola, and I'm forced to play them in the regular N800 Media Player

2. I like to convert some of my DVDs to watch them on my Tablet. I convert them into Xvid AVIs usually around 100kbps with 25 fps. these are the approximate specifications of the standard sample video that comes with the 2008 OS.
These videos look perfect on the regular N800 player, but the playback on Canola is not perfectly smooth. They are still watchable, but it is not 100% smooth like on the regular player. Every once in a while the video lags. I can't justify watching them on Canola when I know they will look better on the other player.

I make sure I use Canola without any other apps open, so I keep as much memory free as possible. I tried creating videos of different kbps rate, and its always the same.

These issues basically make Canola unusable for me. The only other thing I can use it for is play my music, but what I mostly do on it is Listen to podcasts and watch videos.
I am actually debating uninstalling it to free some space, since I cannot really use it for what I need. I'd hate to do that because I really want it to work.

Does anyone else notice this? Multiple searches on google regarding this issue have given no relevant results.
Thanks for your time and suggestions.

David

Last edited by dantonic; 2008-12-21 at 21:42.

I haven't touched my n800 in months, but I just cleared out its memory and upgraded the firmware, then installed Canola, and for some reason the canola-tuning plugin isn't downloading any cover art (except for one album, which was really weird.) I disabled local covers and ID3 tags, and kept the last.fm covers and Amazon covers, and it looked like it was working but then didn't. I tried only Amazon and only last.fm enabled too, but still nothing but that one album has covers.

Edit: Also, if I try and find a cover for them one album at a time, then it just tells me covers not found even though I can find them with Coverfinder on Amazon and I can manually see them on last.fm too.

Last edited by jhoff80; 2008-12-21 at 23:41.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
I've noticed that the beta9 of Canola2 also appears to stutter in certain video types--those that use mplayer instead of the internal media player.

The only other application that I have running in parallel is omweather, but I doubt that this should be a problem as I have it set for manual update only.

The behavior though sure seems like some task interrupting on about a 10 second cycle for a few milliseconds.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ São Paulo
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
Hello,
I just want to say that I really like the idea of Canola, and all that it is designed to do. As much as I love this program, I am experiencing some problems which cause me to not be able to use it for what I need.
I tried to scroll through the forums to see if anyone had the same issue, but didnt find anything. I apologize if this has already been talked about.
I use an N800 with Diablo

Two issues that affect my usage:
1. It seems that Canola will not play podcasts that contain % signs in the name of the file. What I end up doing to get around this is I download my favorite podcasts with canola, and I'm forced to play them in the regular N800 Media Player

2. I like to convert some of my DVDs to watch them on my Tablet. I convert them into Xvid AVIs usually around 100kbps with 25 fps. these are the approximate specifications of the standard sample video that comes with the 2008 OS.
These videos look perfect on the regular N800 player, but the playback on Canola is not perfectly smooth. They are still watchable, but it is not 100% smooth like on the regular player. Every once in a while the video lags. I can't justify watching them on Canola when I know they will look better on the other player.

I make sure I use Canola without any other apps open, so I keep as much memory free as possible. I tried creating videos of different kbps rate, and its always the same.

These issues basically make Canola unusable for me. The only other thing I can use it for is play my music, but what I mostly do on it is Listen to podcasts and watch videos.
I am actually debating uninstalling it to free some space, since I cannot really use it for what I need. I'd hate to do that because I really want it to work.

Does anyone else notice this? Multiple searches on google regarding this issue have given no relevant results.
Thanks for your time and suggestions.

David
David,

thanks alot for your report (and for giving us detailed information). We're going to take a look at the '%' issue, but could you please tell me how you are converting movies so that we can try to reproduce it here ? One reason that playback might be worse is that Canola might be trying to use mplayer to play the video, and mplayer might not be handling those videos particularly well. You might want to change your ~/.atabake/config to prefer 'oms' for that particular video type if it's not already like that (if it's not, please tell me so that we can continue trying to debug what's happening).

Cheer,
--lf

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Canola is a really cool package; have you guys taken a look at boxee http://www.boxee.tv/ or xbmc http://xbmc.org/ - these have some really nice refinements for UI and plugins.
Just a thought

Hello,
sorry for the delay.

I use a program called DVDFab Platinum version 4.0.1.2
I encode using an xvid+mp3 file format. It is encoded using:
Fast (1-pass) encoding
Fixed bitrate option
bitrate of 512kbps (when looking at the final file properties, it shows up as being approximately 100 kbps)
frame resolution of 416x240
Bits/Pixel 0.214
Audio Bitrate 128
Framerate option: Same as source (This usually ends up being between 25 and 30 fps.

I chose these settings to keep the file as close as possible to the encoding options of the Nokia video converter. I've also tried different settings, and these seem to be optimal for quality and responsiveness.

Also regarding the .atabake/config
I am not well learned in Unix. I am not sure what that file is, how I would access or edit it. Could you give detailed instructions/commands on how I would do that? I assume it would be from the terminal. I know how to gain root access if that is needed.

Thanks.

David

I went online, and did a search, ad figured out how to get to the config file and how to use the vi editor to edit it.

the "general" and "video" settings were both set for mplayer. I've changed them both to oms. I'll be trying some videos, and will let you know how they look.

Thanks a lot for your help.

David

ok so i tried it out, and I get no picture. It doesn't play at all. It still plays under the regular media player of course.
When I edited the config file back to what it was, it goes back to normal with the same issue as before.

Last edited by dantonic; 2008-12-27 at 11:14.

I have the same problems as dantonic. I use Canola to download podcast videos everyday but they do not play through the Canalo program. It starts but it lags sometimes the pictures just freezes at the beginning but conitnues to play sound, Just like dantonic I mainly use Canola to watch podcast and movies but Canola doesnt seem to support either one especially podcast video, After I download the podcast through Canola i always have to exit and play them through the standard media player. I dont mind doing that but it would be nice to use Canola as my totql source. My main concern is that it cant play podcast videos after you download them. It uses kmplayer as the default player and I dont know how to change it but based on dantonic respoonse, changing the default doesnt help. Will this be fixed? Great program nonetheless