Active Topics

i've never used a device that u could install programs without downloading them somehow, either from the internet, from an external media (sd card, dvd, cd, ex. HD, flash drive, etc). please oouc, tell me where i can find such a device that can basically make magic...

This is also the first time i've ever seen someone buy something and refuse to spend even the smallest amount of time to figure something out. even my brother who is pretty lazy and i have to do everything for him...can figure out stuff. especially when there are websites and forums and users out there helping people, developing solutions and software...the community for the NITs is very helpful. Just because maybe pre-schoolers might not be able to follow the instructions doesn't mean it's hard to figure out...just use some common sense. but i guess as people say, common sense isn't really common

I have no knowledge of linux (literally, a fresh newbie), yet i've managed to update my tablet, download and install applications, use the web browser, fm radio, etc. now given, i don't understand all the technical talk, i can still use the n800 as it is...an internet tablet. It's great that it has extra features such as xournal and liqbase...but it was never intended to be a full out linux computer. it's an internet tablet. Having an office suite, or sketching programs is a plus..not a given. what you're saying is "hey i just bought a smartphone that has wifi! now i can save money by not buying a data plan but can still go online at hotspots! wait just a minute...i can't send and receive email unless i'm in wifi range which is like never. what kind of crap is this. i thought its supposed to be a pocketable computer..."

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
If you have the appropriate cellular plan you can tether you N8x0 to your phone with bluetooth and always have internet access. Some network access is free and some costs. With the N810 supporting bluetooth DUN and WiFi all choices are yours.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by oouc View Post
Benson,
.... and menu is just a word for hotshot Geek Experts who would rather use technobabble instead of reality.
Ba-hahahahhahahahaha! "Menu" is a buzzword. Hahahahahaha. *snif*, whew! You gave me the best laugh I've had all day.

I deal with many thousands of people who have never known anyone who knows more about computers and documentation than I.
I just wish you'd have spent as much time on google and ebay looking for the stuff you wanted instead of spending the time to type in this whiney diatribe.

I'm somehow reminded of the video I saw on youtube where "tech support" was helping a 14th century (or so) monk convert from scrolls to books. Wish I could find that, again.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's interesting that all the posts like this seem to share a common thread: People who provide "support" for "thousands" (or even millions) of people, but are too lazy or incompetent to spend 5 minutes acquiring an answer for themselves (or who, after managing that, seem to do their absolute best at failing to follow the directions).
It's interesting how many threads seem to show (to an objective observer) the need for a casual user site and how the people unsupportive of a casual user site are the same ones who post in those threads in a way that is somehow unfriendly to the posting casual user (and yes I realize that many of them like this guy have a bad attitude; and I realize there are threads where users are helped, but there are also plenty of other threads like this one). Casual users browsing these forums have a bad reaction when "the wiki should be dumbed down" and similar comments receive this kind of treatment.

The open source community provides an opportunity for anyone that identifies an issue to step up and contibute to a solution. Participation with contribution is the essence of membership. Whining and demeaning the efforts of those that freely contribute for the benefit of all is a sad state of affairs.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
OMG is this guy really serious? and he is tech support? ironically people like him is the reason I have a job as tech support as well... google has so much potential yet he failed to do a simple search or RTFM...

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
so you need internet connection to download software, surprise?

the standard way (apt, yum) to install sofrware in standard linux distributions (ubuntu, fedora) also needs internet connection
I think he is talking about the installer files that you get each time you try to download a program instead of the program itself that could be saved for later.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
It's interesting how many threads seem to show (to an objective observer) the need for a casual user site and how the people unsupportive of a casual user site are the same ones who post in those threads in a way that is somehow unfriendly to the posting casual user (and yes I realize that many of them like this guy have a bad attitude; and I realize there are threads where users are helped, but there are also plenty of other threads like this one). Casual users browsing these forums have a bad reaction when "the wiki should be dumbed down" and similar comments receive this kind of treatment.
It's also interesting to note that there's always at least one of these jokers who is so obviously perfectly neutral, impartial and perfect in all respects and not just as completely full of BS as the OP.

Buddy, since you're so obviously a better person than anybody else here, why don't you step up and fix all of this guy's problems? Or do you just talk about how you think other people should do it?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
When did they send the memo out that Linux users are supposed to evangelize to the unwashed masses? Because, honestly, i've been telling them to get a mac and an ipod touch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
When did they send the memo out that Linux users are supposed to evangelize to the unwashed masses? Because, honestly, i've been telling them to get a mac and an ipod touch.
There are no requirements for evangelism in the GPL nor is there an exaulted status awarded to Linux users. The open source community has a history of helping other users, even new ones. I wouldn't call that evangelizing -- it's participation in a community held together by the contribution of it's members.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1