Active Topics

Notices

I like to make GPX files on my desktop then download them to my tablet for use by Maemo Mapper.

After grumbling that I had to screen-scrape output from gnuite.com instead of "save to file", and having to copy addresses across from Google Maps once I'd found some that worked, I've finally written my own script using the Google API and then parsing KML.

It doesn't work with multiple destinations, but it will do "avoid highway" and "walk". The interactive map won't let you edit the route graphically, but you can paste in a link from a customized route on Google Maps and convert that to GPX. These limitations may be fixable with more work.

http://gpx.geotags.com/

The site also works for live downloads. I was playing with multi-homing
using DNS so it's currently on 2 servers. If anyone wants to clone it onto another server, or take the code and improve it, please ask.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ montreal
help! i broke the relation between maps and location in my copy of maemo mapper. everything has been working wonderfully until last week. i updated the app to the latest version and used it to drive from montreal to vermont. no problem. a few days later, i downloaded and opened this link:
http://www.everytrail.com/downloadGP....gpx&name=7578
now, even though maemo mapper shows the coordinates for my gps location (montreal), it draws the gps symbol, the track, all my local pois, and any route i download on new jersey. what's worse, when i use the dpad to rotate the maps, the track, pois, etc move around ar a different rate of rotation than the maps.
i've updated, deleted, and reinstalled maemo mapper to no avail.
i'm using version 2.5.1 in chinook on an n800 with a bspeech bluetooth gps reciever.
please help. i love maemo mapper and would like to be able to use it again without reflashing.

edit:
i finally figured out that somehow a map correction had been applied. i removed it and now everything's fine.

Last edited by spokewrench; 2008-12-24 at 15:48.

Originally Posted by spokewrench View Post
help! i broke the relation between maps and location in my copy of maemo mapper. everything has been working wonderfully until last week. i updated the app to the latest version and used it to drive from montreal to vermont. no problem. a few days later, i downloaded and opened this link:
http://www.everytrail.com/downloadGP....gpx&name=7578
now, even though maemo mapper shows the coordinates for my gps location (montreal), it draws the gps symbol, the track, all my local pois, and any route i download on new jersey. what's worse, when i use the dpad to rotate the maps, the track, pois, etc move around ar a different rate of rotation than the maps.
i've updated, deleted, and reinstalled maemo mapper to no avail.
i'm using version 2.5.1 in chinook on an n800 with a bspeech bluetooth gps reciever.
please help. i love maemo mapper and would like to be able to use it again without reflashing.
Try deleting the map cache from disk. You can find the location of it in the "Manage Repositories" dialog.

Hi,

I haven't been able to find again an old article about fixing google maps misalignment in MM.

The problem I'm facing in short is that Google Maps at least in Beijing are quite much misaligned (hundreds of meters). This makes Google Maps totally unusable here when using GPS with MM.

It's a pitty that the Google Maps repository however has the best map coverage and details. Openstreet maps, yahoo maps etc. are correctly aligned but lack needed details. Even Google satellite images are correctly aligned, but then I lack the street names etc.

I can start MM, turn on the GPS, get lat/lon and know my correct location on the map. How can I then do the correction in MM for Google Maps alignment?

To reproduce just open a location from Beijing in MM and switch between OSM, Google map and Google sat image without changing the location and you should see what I mean.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Originally Posted by wilson View Post
I haven't been able to find again an old article about fixing google maps misalignment in MM.
Ok I got it from a too obvious place... Link

Unfortunately this of course doesn't solve the root cause of the problem and e.g. route functionality is still unusable in Beijing. Even if the route is "correct" for Google Street map, the map is misaligned with GPS. After the map correction, the map and GPS are aligned but route is still according to misaligned Google Map...

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
After the map correction, the map and GPS are aligned but route is still according to misaligned Google Map...
Most maps available for China are misaligned by ~300-600m. Government regulation. Domestic vendors somehow get to get the real data, but all others have to deal with it.

To sum up, since Google also has their maps shifted, maemo mapper would need a function which also shifts the route by the same amount as your manually aligned google map...

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ New York
Hello everyone,

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I've searched both on these forums and through google and I can't seem to find the answer to my question regarding maemo mapper.

I'm able to get on-demand routing while driving by tethering to my cell and can download decent size maps through maemo mapper itself. Now, I want to download the map of the entire Rochester, NY region so I don't need to be logged into the net all the time. I've tried downloading the 834 meg file through maemo mapper onto a 8gig card but it seems to fail at some point along the way every time I try. The farthest I've gotten is 442 megs downloaded.

I've seen some tutorials in youtube on how to use winmapper and downloaded the map of the Rochester area accordingly onto my XP desktop. What I haven't figured out to do is how to turn those downloaded google map files into .db format so that maemo mapper can read them.

Is there some kind of converter for this or is it a built in function of winmapper. Either way, can some one please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

MM < v2 uses directly stored maps as files and could be used with winmapper.
MM > v2 uses a database and could NOT be used with winmapper.
Don't know if winmapper had updates for translating files into db for MM v2.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ New York
Thanks for the reply murphy,

I tried to download the map of the Rochester region which came out to around 700megs and as of this morning the download failed at 300meg. If not winmapper, is there any other way to download large maps other than using maemo mapper on n810.

I am using Diablo with latest version of maemo mapper.

If you try to download again the same region, I think it will continue to download the remaining tiles (if not checked "overwrite").
I've no other idea.