Hello,

I am having problems connecting to my home wifi network. Hardware: DLink Dl-524, N800 with latest version of OS2008. My WLAN is WPA protected. N800 can see the network and connect to it. I can use web browser, but it is impossible to download any application from application manager. The problem in nonexistent when my network is not encrypted. What could go wrong with my network or my N800.

Cheers

I used to have the same router and the same problem you are having connecting my laptop, desktop, N800, and N810. Replaced the router and problem solved.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
i'd just leave WPA off, unless you're worried about people in the adjacent apartment or next door (possibly) with some hacker skills trying to steal your identity by intercepting usernames, passwords, and credit card info as they are sent from your tablet to the router. (it seems unlikely to me, so i'd probably just turn off WPA if i were you. but identity theft happens, so....)

alternatively (less convenient, but safer): you could just turn off WPA when you want to use app manager. there's no sensitive information that gets sent while installing and uninstalling programs, so no worries there.

EDIT: note: the router i'm using right now cost me $5 (after mail-in rebate). TRENDnet. works great (WPA on) with my n800, not so great with the TRENDnet USB NIC i bought at the same time (!?)... so a new router is definitely a possibility. check newegg, tigerdirect, and mwave.

Last edited by jmjanzen; 2009-01-09 at 17:53.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Only use WPA2 and AES. Probably, you'll want WPA-PSK. Don't use TKIP or WPA. Don't use WEP. At your option, use VPN/IPsec instead. SSH supports VPNs via tun interface as well.