This is my first post here, so I'd like to thank all the helpful folks, especially Penguinbait and Milhouse who helped me get KDE running on my N810.

I've installed GVM, but I'm wondering if there is any way to increase the virtual storage heap beyond 64Mb? I have more than enough applications, books and bibles to fill 64Mb, and I cannot see why Access would put a top end limit there. I've grepped about here and on the Access site; however, I haven't yet found any information.

By the way, has Access provided any road map for their GVM? I'm guessing from the posts here that they haven't, and I get a feeling that they may keep it in beta permanently.

O.K., how about plan 2: hacking GVM to make it recognize an external storage card?

Or mebbe plan C: Creating multiple GVM's? This would be less than optimal, but better than nothing.

By the way, I tried the simple expedient of changing the maximum heap size to 128 Mb in the GVM config file, '/home/user/.gvm/gvm_settings'. As I guessed, this didn't work. It did blow away my test installation and reset the maximum heap size to 16 Mb.

At the moment, I'm guessing that Access implemented the GVM memory as a proprietary binary. It would be nice to see them use an image mounted as a vfat loopback device. I would think this would work well, given that this is how applications, databases, etc. are stored on external cards.

Last edited by burmashave; 2008-01-26 at 06:18.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Nevermind you must be talking about something other than MMC, I see you already have KDE running.

I was successful in creating multiple vm's; but, it isn't very pretty. I used the information from Ta-t3's post about starting GVM apps from a shortcut.

Only one GVM instance can be run at a time, and that means that to switch between some Palm apps., I'd need to stop one emulator and start another.

By the way, if you attempt this at home, the '--storagefilename=filename' option refers not to a path, but to a file name that must be in '/home/user/.gvm'. This stymied me a bit.

I'm still looking for a hack.

The Following User Says Thank You to burmashave For This Useful Post:
Thanks for posting, I was actually thinking of using the --storagefilename option for something similar, but never got around to test it. I updated my original posting with the bit about the filename in .gvm, very useful info.

Kuhl.

Here's the command I used to start GVM from a second image:

Code:

usr/bin/gvm/gvm -a [Application Creator] --rotated=no \ 
--fullscreen=no --sound=no \ 
--bgimage=[Absolute Path to Background Image] \
--storagefilename=gvm.store_1
Where 'gvm.store_1' is the alternate storage file located in '/home/user/.gvm/'. I created this alternate storage file by copying '/home/user/.gvm/gvm.store'. Of course, some of the options set above are my own preferences.

In order to install/uninstall applications from a secondary image, I created a symlink for the active image in the '/home/user/.gvm' directory (assuming an image copy named gvm.store_1 exists):

Code:

cd /home/user/.gvm
cp gvm.store gvm.store_backup
mv gvm.store gvm.store_orig
ln -s gvm.store_1 gvm
Now, when you start GVM (from the standard GVM shortcut), you will be running from the copied image, and you can install/uninstall apps to/from it. Note that the copy command above creates a backup in case something goes wrong.

To return GVM to your orignal image:

Code:

cd /home/user/.gvm
rm gvm.store
ln -s gvm.store_orig gvm.store
With the storage files symlinked to 'gvm.store', it is easy to switch between them in order to install/uninstall applications.

Palm Shortcuts in Application Menu

On different note, here's the entry I made in '/usr/share/application/hildon' to create a Palm shortcut to a specific Palm app:

Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=[Name You Wish to Appear in Menu]
Exec=/usr/bin/gvm/gvm -a [Application Creator] --rotated=no --fullscreen=no --sound=no  --bgimage=[Absolute Path to Background Image]
Comment=some_comment
Name the file above some_useful_name.desktop. Note that the 'Exec' line above is one line. I created the file in nano, and for some strange reason, the application manager would not recognize line feeds escaped with backslashes, so all entries above need to be single lines.

Last edited by burmashave; 2008-01-30 at 18:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to burmashave For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info I used your shortcut to create a link in my menu. The first couple of times it crashed - white background black palm screen - I think windows mangled the text when I copied it. Then I got it working by editing the file with vi. Now it works but when launched from the shortcut the device id is different from the launcher and some programs want a different registration code entered. Would the hotsync id switch fix this ? I've also used the info to create a backup so hopefully I can just restore the next time I wipe all the data. Thanks again.

You can just add the hotsync id option to the Exec line in burmashave's example, that'll work fine.

@imtab: I'm not sure if this is the prob you hit, but I discovered that you cannot use escapes in the N810 shortcuts. That is, from my example above, you cannot do this:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=[Name You Wish to Appear in Menu]
Exec=/usr/bin/gvm/gvm -a [Application Creator] --rotated=no \
    --fullscreen=no --sound=no  \
    --bgimage=[Absolute Path to Background Image]
Comment=some_comment
That's a bit odd for a Linux OS.

Tags